Update mysql server name

Hi, 

I have the following problem. 

My hosting provider has migrated my account to a new server more efficient. 

I have a shared hosting service. 

But now I can not log in to the front office, and even to the back office. 

My hosting provider tells me that I need to update "my MySQL connection string with the newly Server" and gave me the name of the new server. 

He also told me that they can not do them, but I have to do it. Because they do not know the location of my ".config" files of my applications .. 

He tells me that I need to update: 

"Your application config (if you have any) with the new MySQL Host" 

substituting the name of the old server to the new server name. 

I do not know how to do this. Does anyone know how to do this? 

thanks 

Obiettivoweb

It's in yourdomain\config\settings.inc.php

define('_DB_SERVER_', 'localhost');

thanks dioniz. I done it.

But still can not access the site.

I always get the following message:

Link to database can not be established: SQLSTATE [28000] [1045] Access denied for user 'ecomweb_compra01'@'mocha3014.mochahost.com' (using password: YES) 

You have any other advice on how to fix this?

Have they changed db user when they migrate your site?

I do not know that. 

Now, I asked if they changed the db user. 
I await their response. 

Anyway, how do I know if I have changed the db user? 

In cpanel, in phpMyAdmin: I see that: 
user is ecomweb.mocha3009.mochahost.com 
database is: mysql1001.mochahost.com 

These values ​​were unchanged after migration. 

But I have noticed that when I try to login to BO or to visit the FO, I read that the message is an access denied for user: [email protected] 

do you have any idea?

Ask your host for detailed info of db server, db user and password and put them in settings.inc.php or ask them to put it there.

This is the response of the host provider: 

Your db_user is not changed, but You Should change your mysql hostname to "mysql1002.mochahost.com" 

In public_html / config / settings.inc.php the db user and password are correct. 

Also I changed the hostname as the provider told me: 
mysql1002.mochahost.com 

But the same does not work. 

If you have other suggestions thank you. 
I try to contact them again the host provider

If you're using cPanel, there should be a section in there called 'MySQL Databases'

In there, it will show you a list of all users set up to access the database, so have a check in there to see if the old one really is still linked.. by the sounds of it, it isn't

If not, you could add another mysql user through that same section. After adding the user, you need to add the user to the database, also in the same section.

If you're using cPanel, there should be a section in there called 'MySQL Databases'

In there, it will show you a list of all users set up to access the database, so have a check in there to see if the old one really is still linked.. by the sounds of it, it isn't

If not, you could add another mysql user through that same section. After adding the user, you need to add the user to the database, also in the same section.

Thanks FullCircles. 

the user is connected to the database. 

The problem is the following: 

the host has migrated only the database to a new server. Or so they said. 
Why I said that the site had become too slow. 

In cpanel - mysql database: 

Here's what I have: 

Remote MySQL Host 
The mysql server's address is mysql1001.mochahost.com. When connecting to the MySQL server you must specify this host. 

The provider told me that the new database server is mysql1002.mochahost.com 

I have tried changing the hostname to mysql1002.mochahost.com in public_html / config / settings.inc.php, but I have not solved the problem and I do not know how to do.

Hmm, and it's still giving the 'Access denied for user' following error, even though the user is hooked up to the new database? Bit of an odd one then.

That error is just that the user details can't log in to the database, so if the database is correct, and the user is also, should be fine

I wonder if they've changed the actual database name, rather than just the host?

Have a check for this one in your settings file:

_DB_NAME_

In fact, re-reading what you just said, I'm getting conflicting information there.. they're saying the server address is mysql1001 and 1002?

I think perhaps one of them is the database name, and one is the hostname, maybe both have changed

By the sounds of your check in phpmyadmin earlier, the database name should be the mysql1001.mochahost.com one, and the hostname may be mysql1002.mochahost.com

Hmm, and it's still giving the 'Access denied for user' following error, even though the user is hooked up to the new database? Bit of an odd one then.

That error is just that the user details can't log in to the database, so if the database is correct, and the user is also, should be fine

I wonder if they've changed the actual database name, rather than just the host?

Have a check for this one in your settings file:

_DB_NAME_

In fact, re-reading what you just said, I'm getting conflicting information there.. they're saying the server address is mysql1001 and 1002?

I think perhaps one of them is the database name, and one is the hostname, maybe both have changed

By the sounds of your check in phpmyadmin earlier, the database name should be the mysql1001.mochahost.com one, and the hostname may be mysql1002.mochahost.com

Here's what I see in phpMyAdmin: 

Server: mysql1001.mochahost.com via TCP / IP 
Server version: 5.5.32-cll-lve 

What to do?

The provider says I have to change: 

mysql hostname from "mysql1001.mochahost.com" to "mysql1002.mochahost.com."
Edited by Obiettivoweb (see edit history)

Running out of ideas unfortunately. It's strange that you can connect to the phpmyadmin via mysql1001, if they claim it's on mysql1002, but you've tried with both and neither are working, so that's not helping much.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe something went wrong associating the user to the database when they moved it over, wouldn't be the first time I've seen odd things happen during migration.

What might be a good solution at this point is to send your hosting provider a copy of your settings.inc.php file, and ask them to change the database details for you. That way you'll be able to confirm that the details they're providing you with are correct.

If it still doesn't work after adding the details through that, then it should act as proof that there's something wrong with the MySQL setup after the migration, and they'll need to look into it

Running out of ideas unfortunately. It's strange that you can connect to the phpmyadmin via mysql1001, if they claim it's on mysql1002, but you've tried with both and neither are working, so that's not helping much.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe something went wrong associating the user to the database when they moved it over, wouldn't be the first time I've seen odd things happen during migration.

What might be a good solution at this point is to send your hosting provider a copy of your settings.inc.php file, and ask them to change the database details for you. That way you'll be able to confirm that the details they're providing you with are correct.

If it still doesn't work after adding the details through that, then it should act as proof that there's something wrong with the MySQL setup after the migration, and they'll need to look into it

host provider has fixed the problem and sent me the following e-mail: 

I have updated the "settings.inc.php" for you, with mysql1002.mochahost.com. 

Now it works. But I had changed the file "settings.inc.php" and did not work. 
So I think that something else was wrong, but I do not know what. 

Anyway thank you for all the help you have given me. 
Obiettivoweb

• 3 months later...