Using different Carriers for different products

Hi there,

Great e-shop application BTW!

I have a number of products in my shop provided by different suppliers.

Irrespective of geographic location, price or weight, I want some of the products from one supplier to be sent out using one particular carrier (for which there is a charge) while other products (from another supplier) I wish to use a different carrier (for which there is no charge).

Is this possible?

I could not see how to set this up using suppliers as carriers seem only to be influenced by zone, weight, price etc.

As an attempted fix I set the weight of all my free delivery products to 0.4Kg and all my chargeable delivery products to 50Kg.

I then have two carriers. One that has a weight range of 0-49Kg and another 50-250Kg.

For products that I have set the wieght to 50Kg this works as I only get the carrier that has the weight range of 50-250Kg.

But for products that I have set the weight to 0.4Kg I get the choice of BOTH carriers? surely this isn;t expected behaviour?

Can you please tell me if there is a better/simpler way to have different carriers for different products?

Or a way to use the method I have attempted, but to only show one carrier each time?

thank you very much in advance.

Pete.

Sorry to chase, but I wonder if anyone has any ideas on this, or needs more information.

I have a looming deadline and cannot launch without having a resolution to this.

I have serached the forums, but if someone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete.

I have a similar problem. Unfortunately, the method Pete has been trying won't work in my case, and the only way it makes sense to me is to set the carrier for each individual product.

Basically I have 2 sets of products in the one shopping cart. Lets call them Food and Drink.

You can buy as much Food as you want, and postage will always be $50

Postage for Drink is charged based on weight ranges. Each item in Drink has a weight of 1kg, and the shipping cost increments every 12kg. i.e. 1-12kg=$20, 13-24kg=$40, 25-36kg=$60 etc etc.

The method Pete has been trying to get working would work for me if customers were only going to buy items from EITHER Food OR Drink, (each Food item could be set as 0.0001kg for example), BUT people will be purchasing BOTH Food AND Drink in the one order - so weights would end up like 11.0005kg, which would mean you wouldn't be charged for your Food order.

It's a bit of a tricky requirement, but it's what my client has requested. Is there any way I can set one of two carriers for each specific product? And in fact, is it even possible to have 2 carriers handle separate products in the one order? Maybe someone can see an alternative that just hasn't occurred to me?

I was hoping to do some "clever" maths stuff with weights. So my free postage items were all 0.1Kg (for example) and my non free postage stuff were all 50Kg.

My two carriers would have weight ranges: 0-49Kg and 50-500Kg.

Vistors could buy 500 free postage items before they would see the charging carrier. but if they bought a number of the free postage items and just one of the non-free postage items it would (if it worked as I thought it should) they would just see the charging carrier.

Maybe that would work for you JamIndesigns?

@JamInDesigns: You said you've had to set a carrier for each individual product? I can;t see how to do this in Admin?

@Prestashop Mods: any chance of any advice? We're meant to go live with this tomorrow - I'm getting a lot of pressure!!!

• 4 months later...

This may be too late or you may have already worked this out, but if you go to Shipping category the Carriers, and the click on edit against your carriers (one at a time) then set 'Out of range behaviour' to disable carrier, then when the weight is too low or too high, the other carrier wont appear....