Uploading large catalog/prices

I started setting up Prestashop about a year ago and found a couple problems that ended up putting the brakes on my project.  I'm looking now at the new version of PS and wondering if any of these things have improved.

One stumbling block is that I needed to upload a large catalog from a third party manufacturer... several thousand parts... and be able to keep prices updated using data periodically provided by this vender in the form of, basically, a spreadsheet.  The earlier version of PS had no way around a server time-out limitation that only made it possible to download less than a hundred parts at a time, and would have made keeping prices updated very difficult... it was modeled more around a small store where each part (item) is maintained individually.

My question is, has this changed in any way?  Does 1.6 have provisions for uploading large catalogs?

Searching some other posts I get the impression that this issue hasn't been improved upon, but it seems that others that have posted similar questions have received mostly just "views". 

I can deal with the idiosyncratic CSV behavior, since once you have it worked out it's pretty much predictable, but loading and updating my catalog is a piecemeal task that will take hours to compete... then more hours to correct mistakes made in this process, it's hardly worth it.  My reason for wanting to try creating an on-line shop is to supplement my "real" shop... my day job... with this idea that computers should be able to automate the mundane time consuming tasks that I frankly don't have time for.  I assume I could pay somebody to do this for me, but I'm just not motivated to do this yet.

If the catalog upload problem still hasn't been improved I'd suggest it be given some attention, since it really is a deal breaker for shops like mine.  I'll keep monitoring this thread in case I receive a response...

Edited by jeepwhisperer (see edit history)