Help with understanding prestashop bug fixing and new version process

asgllccb

I am really struggling with figuring out what the best thing we can do for our shop in terms of upgrade, new version and bug fixes.  Generally I have assumed that when we upgrade we are changing our shop to be the equivalent of the most current stable release.  Comparative analysis between upgrading and a fresh install has disproved that.  I have also assumed that newer versions would include bug fixes found in previous versions and that while new bugs may appear, old ones would likely be resolved.  This has also been incorrect. Hence my question(s) here.  So I would appreciate some enlightenment on what processes prestashop uses in these 3 areas so that perhaps users might be able to better match what we are hoping to accomplish with what prestashop is offering and perhaps have more satisfied customers (assuming the emphasis on the community is accurate...that it is a community aiming to help each other improve successful use of prestashop).

So my questions are these...

1 - When/where are bugs fixed? 

Are there a patches somewhere that can either be copied or downloaded?  Or are bug fixes pretty much a hodgepodge of resolutions to problems randomly found and resolved on the discussion forums.  

From reading, for example, that prestashop will eventually stop working on fixes for versions 1.3X, 1.4X, etc., it seems that there are some developers working on developing the next latest greatest upcoming version while others (or the same ones at different times) are working on resolving bugs with previous versions/addressing forum and community concerns.  My thought is that if prestashop is still working now on 1.4X and 1.5X fixes...where can they be found?  Or have fixes for 1.4 and 1.5 already really stopped and work is now focused on 1.6 and ahead?

2 - Is each new version of prestashop pretty much developed independently from each other?  

Please help us to understand better the prestashop processes so that our expectations in using an update, fresh install, bug fix, etc are aligned with what prestashop is offering when we select an option of prestashop to use.  Expectations that are realistic and understood are less likely to be disappointing.

Hope this makes sense.

As I understand, and this is just my personal view, since Prestashop started embracing Github both bug fixes as well as new versions are a mix of suggestions done by community members/developers and code input from the Prestashop development team.

Your assumption that upgrading an existing shop to the newest version should both include the latest bug fixes as well as give you the most recent stable release is actually correct. Then where does it go wrong you might ask...my guess is the upgrade system is not as accurate as we might expect.