Comparative analysis on positioning hooks following an update to 1.6 vs fresh install

In doing some comparative analysis to try to track down what might be causing me some problems with an update from 1.4.4.1 to 1.6.0.8 on a test server...

Here's a bit of update vs fresh install analysis that's quite interesting:

- A fresh install has 2.5 times the positioning hooks (250% more) available positioning hooks compared to an update: tons more built in options for a fresh install???

- 25% of hooks that are included/exist in an update but do not exist at all in a fresh install.  Don't how much they are needed or have been replaced, etc.  But they are missing from the fresh install list.  So 75% of the hooks from an update also exist with a fresh install.

- So, comparing only the existing hooks on both, there are nearly 300%  -additional- hooks on a -fresh- install -more- than what an update gives.

- So, unintentionally or not, are longer existing faithful prestashop customers (business owners who have been using prestashop) getting shorted nearly 300% in hook options compared to new customers who are doing a fresh install?  I was under the assumption that when we do an update, we are updating the shop to be the equivalent of a new fresh install of the newer version of prestashop.  Is perhaps this part of the reason updates have so many bugs and the cause of so much apprehension of owners to update their shops.  

Done get me wrong, I do love many of the features of prestashop (when they work) and I appreciate the help given by moderators and others on the forum....but ummm....what's up with the short we get with updating?  And what influence will these missing hooks experienced in an update have on the updated shop?  Does this need to be addressed and if so how and how can the community here help?  We all just want good running shops and to stick with prestashop and support the growing community as is possible while we remain in business.

Thoughts?  Feedback?