Show Accurate Stock Levels on Combinations When Chosen

I'm running the latest 1.6 version of PS.

How or what do I need to change to have the accurate stock levels visible on the front end for combinations when they are chosen by the customer?

As it stands, the visible stock level is only that of the primary item for all of the combinations even if the combination is different than the primary. 

We have 1 item in 6 different colors. Each item has it's own SKU and has it's own stock levels from the warehouse based on that sku. We have a backend script that runs on cron that updates all of the stock levels from the warehouse in real time so we never have people ordering items that are out of stock. 

We want to be able to create 1 product page for each of our items that come in different colors, etc. but be able to show the customer the real stock level of each color. 

Right now we have each color listed as an individual product because we can't get the combinations to show the right stock levels. This causes our customers to wade through hundreds of the same products in different colors on the site.

Is there a way change the code to make visible the stock level of each combination?

UPDATE: Hmmm I see that the right stock level shows when I change to a combination if I manually make the change from edit product - quantities. So now I'm just wondering why if I update the attribute quantities for the same combination in the DB why it still only shows the default item quantity.

Edited by ThreeWest (see edit history)

In what table are the manually entered stock levels for combinations being stored? 

They surely aren't being stored in xxx_product_attribute. There is a quantity field there and my script has updated the field in this table but it's not what's being reflected in the quantity area of the product. 

When I do change the quantity of a combination when editing the product, It is saved and I can see the quantity of that combination on the front end but can find the change nowhere in the database. I need to be able to manipulate these numbers in the database. 

• 4 months later...

It's in xxx_stock_available for anyone else wondering. Now I have to write a script that will handle updating this table for combinations.

hmmm I still don't get why the quantity field in xxx_product_attribute is not being used instead of the one in xxx_stock_available and now I'm wondering if I can change something so the combinations are displaying the stock levels in xxx_product_attribute instead...