Problem copying Prestashop 1.5 to another subdomain

Hello,

I would like to perform a 1-click-upgrade of our Prestashop 1.5 shop to version 1.6. However, before I do it on our live site I would like to do a test upgrade. 

For that reason I am trying to create copy of our current shop to another subdomain on our hosting server. I copied all the files and the database. Then I changed the /config/config.inc.php file (changed the database connection information to connect to the new (test) database).

However, when I go to the website on our new subdomain I am redirected to our original domain.

When I try to get to the back-office, I am presented empty page :-(

Can somebody please help?

I tried setting the file permissions in the new directory to be the same as in the old directory, but that didn't help.

I also tried resetting the .htaccess file to its original state. That didn't help either. 

I also tried updating the values in the new database's table ps_configuration PS_SHOP_DOMAIN and PS_SHOP_DOMAIN_SSL so that they would point correctly to the new domain, but that didn't solve the problem. I don't know where else to look. 

I have no idea where in the Prestashop code is the redirection happening now that redirects me from the new subdomain back to the old subdomain.

Also, I don't know why I'm shown a blank page when trying to access back-office.

Thanks for any help.

Tami