Modify displayNav hook

I'm trying to get my feet wet developing with PrestaShop, but PS uses a completely different format for theme Development than I'm used to and I'm a bit lost.  I'm thinking if I can understand how to do the following (please step-by-step if at all possible), I'll be able to figure out how to accomplish all of the other stuff I need to do.

I have attached a screenshot of my displayNav on the front end.

I would like to remove an item, move an item and then add a few other items.

Namely, I would like to do the following....

1. remove the 'contact info block'
  2. move the 'contact us' link to float left inside another div that I will be adding other links to.  I can add them manually once I find out where to make the mods, or if you feel "best practice" for prestashop using smarty is to do it with modules, that's cool too, but a bit of guidance would be greatly appreciated.
  3. Add a 'Register Here' link where the 'contact us' link currently resides.

here is the screenshot of the header >> http://awesomescreenshot.com/0952v9t687

I appreciate any and all advice, code snippets, tutorials that you can throw at me to help me make my PrestaShop transition easier.  The front end is almost complete, all I have left is to configure prestashop and make these minor adjustments.  Thanks in advance for your help.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Same problem here. First of all I don't need to check "display non-positionable hooks" because displayNav is displayed anyway.

Checked or unchecked it has some weird behaviour. For example I want to move contact information block but only drag&drop seems to work properly. Moving block up with an arrow doesn't work. Clicking down arrow always moves block to last position in hook. Unhooking is impossible by both in-block link on the right or checking block and using Unhook selected on bottom of the page. How am I suppose to postion hooks in presta 1.6? :/

Edited by Sharak (see edit history)