Flat Rate shipping UPS

So here's the dilemma: I'm hooked up to UPS as my only shipper, as well as offering in-store pickup. Pickup is fine. UPS, however, is not.

To make it simple I am only offering UPS Ground, to the lower 48. I'd like to offer flat rate shipping. I set a rule so everything from 0-1000000 is charged $12 even, with no handling fee.

However, that's not the case. No matter what price I fix it to, when items are actually put into the cart, shipping reflects an 'arbitrary amount'.

Store's based in Florida. Shipping to a customer in Florida: 9.82. Shipping to a customer in Nevada: 6.72.

Weird weird weird. I'm poked around in any and every menu item, and tried to skim through any modules that might affect it. Talking with UPS tech people to try and find and issue, but it well may be Presta-side.

I'm tempted to just "hack" it by setting UPS to be free shipping, and setting a handling fee at whatever level I'd like. Haven't tried it, but I expect it to work at least, if an ugly way of going about it.

All modules current, on Presta 1.6.0.6.

I have been using the UPS module, yes

Just tried turning it off, creating a new UPS Ground, enabling it for all regions (not just NorthAmer), Internally it exists fine - it's set as the default shipper and everything. But now it doesn't even appear as an option on the front-end (if I turn off the pick up in store, there are no carriers available). 

I ended up simply changing over the pickup option into charging flatrate, and it worked. Something about shipping options that I manually create makes them unavailable on the front-end, despite being fully available/enabled for the locations I'm testing. Oh well.

Would still be nice to have this working, especially since I will be expanding my shipping options in the future, but at least it's doing what I need it to for now...

Yes I am using ASM. But the items I'm testing (and all items in my shop for that matter) have the proper warehouse and supplier set up. I realize those have little to do with shipping... but what other variables should I be setting?