Transplants not stored in theme, how to make it permanent?

Hi,

I'm trying to create a custom theme by modifying a copy of the default theme. I'm a bit confused about how the positions of some modules are handled, when I change them in the backoffice.

Example:

In my new theme I unhook the shoppingcart and transplant it to displaynav instead.

When I switch to the default theme again, it is reset as it should be. But when I switch back to my custom theme the cart stays where it is (not doing the changes I made earlier by moving it to diplaynav).

So the following questions come up:

1: Am I doing it wrong?

if 1 == True:

1.a: What am I doing wrong??

2: Where/how are the position/hook modifications stored that I do in the backoffice (are they tied to the current theme?)

3: What happens to module modifications (e.g custom .css) when a module gets updated.

So much for now...

Thanks,

Thomas

Edited by knekke (see edit history)

Anyone?

Maybe just simpler and shorter:

Is it possible/advisable to use the positions option from the backoffice to modify a theme layout, or should this always be done in code?

thx

I know it sounds like begging now...so be it!

When using the Modules->Positions menu: How can I make it permanent to the current theme?

When I switch to another theme and back again, the modifications are gone (see example from the first post).

Looking at the code of the blockcart module in the default theme, I see no entries for hooks. So I have no clue why it appears at displaytop.

All I want to do is hook the cart to displaynav. There are several threads here about this, but all are about the positions menu and transplanting, which would be fine if it was saved with the theme.

So, please anyone?

Edit: Changed the topic

Edited by knekke (see edit history)