Inability to Update Products Efficiently - Combinations or No Combinations

Hi Guys,

This has become a real issue and I have yet to find a good answer anywhere.

First off, I would like to be able to build a csv file that I can easily import new products and update existing products with current inventory - vital!!!! for an ecommerce shop.

Here is the problem, the way Prestashop is designed in 1.5.3.1, as far as I can tell. I have products that have combinations (i.e. colors, etc... ) and some products that do not have combinations. That being said, if can't just grab ps_product and get everything in the store. It seems to me that the only efficient way is to have all products have combinations or have NO combinations at all and that is just a deal breaker.

I currently have about 700 products but approx 1100 combinations. I need to be able to add another 10,000 or so but the way the database exists now, importing them and then updating inventory on a daily basis would be a nightmare task. I can only manage to update inventory weekly because of the time it take do do it manually.

I have tried modules... I have tried nemo's tutorial http://nemops.com/prestashop-export-products/#.U2ENgPldXzI but it does not update products with combinations. But thank you for taking the time to post information that helps people nemo! You and many others here are a real asset to the community. I would consider upgrading to another version within 1.5 or even 1.6 if it would address this issue, although my shop is quite heavily modified for layout, seo, etc..

I really do love Prestashop, but this one area, for me anyway, is a real problem and for an ecommerce site, a huge problem!! I would love to hear anyone's thoughts who have a large product list on how they manage csv files from their suppliers. I just don't understand why there is not an efficient way for me to build a spreadsheet and be able to update information on the fly. I do this with amazon and some other places - simple csv file updates all listings in minutes - but not with my main store. Frustrating. 

Edited by Whispar1 (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

This has become a real issue and I have yet to find a good answer anywhere.

First off, I would like to be able to build a csv file that I can easily import new products and update existing products with current inventory - vital!!!! for an ecommerce shop.

Here is the problem, the way Prestashop is designed in 1.5.3.1, as far as I can tell. I have products that have combinations (i.e. colors, etc... ) and some products that do not have combinations. That being said, if can't just grab ps_product and get everything in the store. It seems to me that the only efficient way is to have all products have combinations or have NO combinations at all and that is just a deal breaker.

I currently have about 700 products but approx 1100 combinations. I need to be able to add another 10,000 or so but the way the database exists now, importing them and then updating inventory on a daily basis would be a nightmare task. I can only manage to update inventory weekly because of the time it take do do it manually.

I have tried modules... I have tried nemo's tutorial http://nemops.com/prestashop-export-products/#.U2ENgPldXzI but it does not update products with combinations. But thank you for taking the time to post information that helps people nemo! You and many others here are a real asset to the community. I would consider upgrading to another version within 1.5 or even 1.6 if it would address this issue, although my shop is quite heavily modified for layout, seo, etc..

I really do love Prestashop, but this one area, for me anyway, is a real problem and for an ecommerce site, a huge problem!! I would love to hear anyone's thoughts who have a large product list on how they manage csv files from their suppliers. I just don't understand why there is not an efficient way for me to build a spreadsheet and be able to update information on the fly. I do this with amazon and some other places - simple csv file updates all listings in minutes - but not with my main store. Frustrating. 

I have been using prestashop for a month now, and many people are looking for this solution, including me, is there any solution in the market?, is this something that cant be done? This post is a year old and the problem still happening, nobody reply to this post, WHY?