Question regarding Combinations and Attributes

So Ive spent the last week building up this shop (its all new to me) ....Now I'm figuring out how to let customers pick size and color. Is it true that I have to make combination of all attributes? With 6 sizes and a dozen colors and styles...my site will have hundreds of thousands of items. It seems a little silly since I custom make everything to order. Cant there be a drop down with color and size and it simply adds their selection to the receipt or cart...thereby telling me what to make for the customer....versus acting like I have every combination of everything I'm capable of creating in stock.

Also why wont it let me put sizes in order on the drop down. It appears to be alphabetical however when I figured I would try 1. X-small 2. Small 3. medium etc etc instead of having them in order it appeared random. I also tried adding them individually..no dice.

thanks to anyone who can help me out. search has yielded similar issues with no clear answers.

LOL!!! Ive got a feeling I might have to go with another cart script. It blows because Im learning as I go...So I spent a huge amount of time making prestashop look appropriate.

After reading the thread in your link it appears that many people are having this problem. I cant complain since I havent paid for anything...but what difference does it make if people are wasting huge amounts of time. I guess I have to bite the bullet and pay up for cartware. Unless anyone has a solution.

I want drop downs that adds selections to the receipt or amend the item description in the cart or anything along those lines. ALAS! I have no scripting skills.

Cossack, I feel your pain :-) I have travelled the same road: modified Presta Shop to my design wishes and started to add products. But I had to stop quickly, as i ran into major trouble.

I know it is free software, but even still, there is a team that works on new and better versions. And so far I find they do not listen to the users, which is bad, as people might turn away and give bad reports. Especially teh fact that none of the team members even joined in the discussion is something I find really bad!

I am like you: not a programmer but learning as I go. And I have no money to buy a shopping cart :-(

My advice: try Magento. I have been working on it and I love it! Check out my shop under construction: www.carryit.nl/shop. And it is also open source.

You can add many options in all kinds of ways, drop down, checkbox, radio button etc.

I hate to advertise a different ecommerce system here, but what else can i do? I really like Presta Shop and if this was fixed, i would have used it. But the lack of response and my need to get my shop up and running made me choose for Magento and I do not regret it.

Marcel