Multiple choice-bars on homepage

Hi,

I have never used PrestaShop before, but now I need to use it to build a webshop for someone.

Till now the most things went well. Actually it isn't that hard to use prestashop. It's also very easy to change the CSS of themes.

The shop I'm building can not be a regular shop where you can choose a category in the menu-bar. It's going to be different. I'll try to give an explanation of it below:

- It is a website which will be selling mobile accessoires. So for example an iPhone dock for on the motorcycle or a waterproof Samsung Galaxy S4 case.

- In the menubar will be the buttons for "HOME", "ABOUT US", "CONTACT", "DELIVERY", "TERMS & CONDITIONS".

- In the 'real body' of the website it must become something like this:

• First there is a "bar" where are different brands. Like "Apple", "Samsung", "HTC", "Other".
  • Then there is a "bar" where are different transportations where you would like an accessoire for. For example "Car", "Bike", "Motorbike", "Running".
  • Then there is a last bar with the different kinds of accessoires. For example "Cases", "Docks", "Cables", "Chargers".

What I want it to do is:

• When you choose anything from any bar, you will go to the next page (or the page reloads) with all 3 bars. But in the one bar, that things stays selected.
  • There you choose again from another bar. And again you go to another page, but the 2 bars have a selected option, the last bar is still showing.
  • Again, you choose the last thing. When all 3 bars have selected something, you will go to a page where the products are that belong to all three bars.

Now is my question: do you know any modules I can use to do this?

How am I gonna determine which products are going to show at the 3 bars. In other words; how am I gonna store this information in the products?

It doesn't have to be exactly this way. The client didn't really specify it, but this is "about" what he wanted.

I would like to thank you for any help!

Welcome Jeroen, have a look at the layered navigation module, explained on this page:

http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS15/Making+the+Native+Modules+Work#MakingtheNativeModulesWork-FrontOfficeFeatures

Product attributes are key to this, these are explained here:

http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS15/A+Look+Inside+the+Catalog#ALookInsidetheCatalog-AttributesandValues

The menu bar can be configured in back office via Modules->Modules, look for Top horizontal menu and click Configure. Use Menu Top Links to populate your menu.

Cheers, Dave

Thank you for your response.

First, I will look at the layered navigation module. I hope I can get it working. If not, I will post it here.

When I've done that I will try to add products with the attributes and test if they appear on the right places. I will also look for a way to put this in the .CSV, because I'm going to import about 500 products to the site.

Thank you for now, when I can't seem to find a solution to any of these things I will ask it here again!

Jeroen

Yeah, I just figured that out. Luckily I had already asked the "boss" (I don't know the word for the boss of a freelancer ;) ) all the categories he needed. The attributes for the products can be added later, since you can't choose that on the homepage (for now).

Okay, I created the categories, but don't know any further.

When I click on Configure for the Layered Navigation Module, I see this:

1.png

All the categories I have now:

2.png

When I click "add new filter template" I get this:

3.png

Now, I don't know what to do anymore. What I want is on the homepage 3 bars. A bar with all the sub-categories from "Apparaat", a bar with all the sub-categories from "Plaats" and a bar with all the sub-categories from "Soort".

A user is able to select 1 of every bar. When he has selected from all three, he will be sent to the page where those products are. (maybe I will create a sidebar on that page where he can change his selection / specify his selection)

But my question: what now? I don't really know what the filters actually do. How do I create something like this? Do I need to make a filter for every possibility or is it easier?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, but that isn't exactly what I mean.

I drew something to make it clear:

First, on the homepage, you have 3 bars. Every bar is a set of choices you can choose from.

On the homepage you choose 1 thing from 1 bar.

o3ZlaPR.png

Then on the next page, a few products that apply to the chosen thing will be shown.

There are still 2 bars shown where hasn't been chosen from anything:

k9QVIq8.png

Then on the third page, you see some products that apply to BOTH things that have been chosen.

When there has been chosen something from all 3 bars, all products that apply to all 3 things are shown.

Hope this makes it clear.

Thanks again!

OK that makes it clear thanks, but I think your client will need to fund some custom development to achieve that. If you're not able to do that yourself, there is a Job Offers sub-forum you could try. I would be surprised if there is a module already developed to do that, but you never know.

In your first post you said, 'It's going to be different.' Well that's true, but the difference will likely come with a price tag, I'm afraid.

Hope you find a way to do it.

Cheers, Dave