Combination Impact on Dimensions

Hello,

Is there a way to have a combination impact a product's dimensions (width, length and depth)? This is needed because some of our combinations are the same basic product, but with varying sizes.

If there isn't a built-in way to do this or a module that does it, can somebody point me in the direction for editing files?

Thanks for any help!

post-572999-0-22485900-1390944088_thumb.png

Are the dimensions of the product something that the customer needs to know before proceeding with a purchase?  If so, just have size as an attribute and assign the possible values for that according to the variations that exist for the product, e.g. '10x15x35', '15x20x35', etc.

Or have sizes such as Small, Medium, Large, etc. with a conversion of these to actual measurements in the product description or a CMS page.

If the dimensions are not important to the customer and they choose a particular product combination, and that combination can somehow tell you the impact on the dimensions, what do you see that dimension data being used for?

Thanks, Dave

Are the dimensions of the product something that the customer needs to know before proceeding with a purchase?  If so, just have size as an attribute and assign the possible values for that according to the variations that exist for the product, e.g. '10x15x35', '15x20x35', etc.

Or have sizes such as Small, Medium, Large, etc. with a conversion of these to actual measurements in the product description or a CMS page.

If the dimensions are not important to the customer and they choose a particular product combination, and that combination can somehow tell you the impact on the dimensions, what do you see that dimension data being used for?

Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave,

We need it because some items may be shipped USPS who takes package size into account for shipping fee. We can't give/get an accurate shipping price if we're not supplying accurate dimensions.

Edited by AnonymousUser (see edit history)

I suspected as much - I think this only works currently using the dimensions stored at product level.

You would need a custom solution to gather & record combination level dimensions and make them available for shipping calculations.

The alternative is to reflect each variation in size via a unique product - not so customer-friendly, plus more maintenance, but it would allow the shipping calcs to work, I believe.

Cheers, Dave

• 1 month later...

So, does anybody know of a way to do this or a module that does it? This is kind of a big deal with our store. It's going to be very unfriendly to the customer to browser through hundreds of products where half of them are the same as each other just different sizes. Bizarre this isn't a baked-in feature.

• 5 months later...

In my older version of prestashop I am able to enter a height, depth, and width for different attribute sizes that I have entered.  This info is sent to a paid Fedex module and the price is calculated. I also am looking for a solution to this in 1.6.  Shipping cost is one of the major costs for many key E-commerce businesses. Fedex also prices according to dimension not just USPS.  This is an extremely important functionality needed for a Shopping Cart.  Imagine if a product comes in 10 different sizes from very small to large the shipping cost would vary dramatically.  

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Has there been a solution to this yet? We also need something like this in place, whether it's an add-on or a feature that I haven't discovered yet.

Same reason as OP, we need the dimensions for USPS to calculate shipping correctly.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...