Inc. tax... Excl. Tax... It seems to work random!

I am a bit confused (yes...again)

Client shop: prices only display after log in. Prices in shop show ex tax. In shopping cart tax is visible.

The is also visible on the invoice. Just the way we like it.

But......

Yesterday a client ordered and the invoice was generated without tax, so naturally, payment also done without tax.

After logging in and placing the same item in the cart... Tax inc, placed a test order, tax inc, tax on invoice.

Just the way we like it

The customer is in the same group as my account (there is only one group of customers/clients)

I do not know what went wrong.

It would be very nasty if this happens with a large order.

I have the same problem. It seems the problem is generated when a person creates a new account and on the field Company name and VAT number writes something. If those two fields are left empty, the prices are shown VAT included. 

If something is written on those fields, you get the prices without VAT.

I hope it helps. (you can try what i said above by creating a new account).

• Like 1

If you work with a single country (like i do), here is the solution:

- you should add in the "configuration" table in DB the variable VATNUMBER_COUNTRY having the value of your country ID.

P.S.: It only works if you have a single country.

P.P.S.: Don't credit me for the solution, i have it from a friend.

You should back up things before doing this, just to be safe.

Thank you for the solution, but I do have multiple countries. So this will not work I guess.

But still? Is this supposed to work this way? The only time in Europe when you are excluded from paying VAT is when you deliver to another country. Anyway, it will never apply this way.

Is there a way that this can be changed?

I guess i could remove the company and VAT lines from the address, but i don't really want to.

Suggestions are more then welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

I had this problem as well and found it to be caused by the European VAT number module. Its purpose is to waive all VAT on an order if the customer's address includes a VAT number, and it was somehow doing that even though it was deactivated.

I tracked the problem down to a variable called VATNUMBER_MANAGEMENT in the configuration table that erronously indicated that the module should be used even while deactivated. If you don't want to uninstall the module entirely, I suggest making sure the database value is properly set.