502 - BAD GATEWAY - stopping my site from working - Now Solved!

Hi, my site has been working well for over a year, but suddenly last week I and my customers started getting '502 - bad gateway' error messages when you try to do anything secure. That is to say, all the product information pages are working properly but when some people (most people infact) try to log in or register they get the 502 error and can't proceed with their purchase. It is also stopping me from logging in to the control panel, so I can not do anything in the back office.

The web hosting support people aren't being very helpful. I have tried all the recommended clear your browser cache, clear the cookies and tried different browsers, but to no use - ofcourse this doesn't explain why my users are getting the same error!

Prestashop is installed under htdocs/thepottingshed/

and the error log on the web server shows that various files aren't available, principly

htdocs/js

htdocs/thepottingshed/en-default-home

htdocs/favicon.ico

htdocs/about.html

htdocs/robots.txt

htdocs/Grafton20110

htdocs/thepottingshed/en-default-medium

htdocs/thepottingshed/en-default-home

The really strange thing is that there is no sign of these files in the original install saved on my computer or on the backup I made earlier this year. So why is the site suddenly calling for these files I have no record of?

If you would like to try it out for me, the home page of the shop is at

http://grafton-nursery.co.uk/thepottingshed

you can try and login as '[email protected]', password gumnut2013

Any one got  any thoughts how I can resolve this,

Thanks

Steve

Edited by SteveC007 (see edit history)

After several days of struggling to make any headway with this problem, I had to abandon my attempts to solve the problem due to pressure of other work. Then one evening when I logged in to check up on the site it had miraculously cured itself! As I had no help from my hosting company,  I have to assume that the web articles on 502 errors are correct in that one of the gateways leading to the hosting site had a problem - beyond my control, and this was eventually rebooted or repaired and solved the connection error. It would appear that if you have a 502 error you have to simply wait until someone in the queue reboots their gateway or pay someone to track down the faulty gateway for you, there is no point in wasting hours of work trying to track down the fault at your end!

Happy selling to you all,

• Like 1