Can someone tell me what the "filters" are for and how to use them?

In the admin section, there is a "Filter" button next to the "Reset" button. I clicked on it, but it didn't do anything that I can see. Can someone tell me what this is for, how it's used, what does it do etc. It was obviously put there for a reason, but the "documentation" link is missing from this website now, probably to be updated with current information.
Thanks for your help.

En français

Dans la section d'admin, il y a un " ; Filter" ; bouton à côté du " ; Reset" ; bouton. J'ai cliqué sur dessus lui, mais lui didn' ; t font tout ce que je peux voir. Peut quelqu'un me dire pour ce qu'est ce, comment it' ; s utilisé, ce qui il fait etc. Il a été évidemment mis là pour une raison, mais le " ; documentation" ; le lien est absent de ce site Web maintenant, pour être mis à jour probablement avec l'information courante. Merci pour votre aide. :-)

Hi,

On the top of each column, you have empty fields.

For a product (for example), if you type "plate" in the empty field on the top of the "name" column and click "Filter", you will display only the products whose name contain the string "plate".

Zendik