Block is invisible in front office?!

Well, I've tried posting this question worded two different ways for more than a week, and haven't received a single response.  The problem is that I don't know if this is because the answer is so simple that I should be able to figure it out, or if it's beyond what anyone here has the expertise to explain.  If the latter, then my problem might be a bug that warrants some attention.

I'm spending today trying to solve this, and some related problems, and will continue to monitor this thread in case someone can help.

No, not a silly question, and no, I did not know that.  I assumed it would appear anyplace the "category" block appeared, and the Live Edit seems to have it placed on the home page... but now I'm not sure I'm understanding how THAT works...  I see it only appears when a category that has subcategories is chosen, but will not show categories that are children to the home.

I didn't get this from any of the documentation, and have been on pause for a week scratching my head, so THANK YOU for pointing out what must have been presumed to be obvious!

Now I need to see if this will help me create searches for auto parts...