Prestashop 1.5.4.1 slow load when more than 10000 products

I am running Prestashop 1.5.4.1 with 32000 products and 200 categories. Till 10000 products performance was ok but now it is taking up to 10 seconds even to load only static CMS pages.

I have put the complete environment on a test box to see what happens. While loading a page, the CPU does not go above 1% usage, there is still memory free, disk is blinking only sporadically. When performing SQL statement via PhpMyAdmin the response times of MySQL are very good.

So I wander what the bottleneck could be? Would it be rather PHP settings, MySQL settings or is it a code problem in Prestashop? Anyone with the same experience?

The shop can be visited at www.computercentrale.com

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Yes, the problems with load speed are gone. You can have a look at http://www.computercentrale.be to check what kind of response times we have now.

We currently have +- 160 categories and 90.000 products in the database.

There was not really 1 fix to get to this result but we suspect the performance problems were related to:

- The version of Prestashop: 1.5.5.x brought performance improvement compared with 1.5.4.x

- We moved from a shared hosting to a dedicated server, we believe the MySQL was a serious bottleneck at our provider's side mostly due to memory limitations we suspect. With a large Prestashop database some huge queries are performed and this requires memory

- We did some tuning of our dedicated MySQL server, mainly memory optimisation

Our server specs: Intel Quad-Core Xeon E3-1220, 1 CPU, Quad Core, 3100Mhz, 8 GB RAM DDR3 running Prestashop 1.5.6.2

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

- We did some tuning of our dedicated MySQL server, mainly memory optimisation

I'm interested in your mysql cnf changes, could you share your findings, especially the innodb_* lines? I'm trying to speed up a store with 109k prods. My box is similar except it has 6 cores and 6gb ram instead.

I'm running several tests trying to tune mysql but didn't have so much improvement yet. Are you running caching systems? I have only APC in place right now for opcache, nothing for mysql except the included query cache. I read that memcached is not worth for single server setup.