Looking for help around URL inconsistency & fix to theme

Andrew H

Hi I'm looking for advice and some input into fixing an SEO problem I have after upgrading from 1.1 to 1.5 and also fixing a problem relating to languages.

My google rank has nose-dived from 1st place to the 3rd page. I'm keen to resolve this ASAP (i.e. in the next few days) and hopefully reverse this before it's too late. Someone who knows how languages were implemented in v1.1 would be useful as this might be relevant to the problem, I'm not sure.

It's almost as if google was seeing the website with one set of URLs (with /en/ on the end) but in reality the website was not actually live in this format and only one language was enabled. I previously switched languages off without recompiling the theme (I don't know if a possible cause).

I think the problem may have been caused by canonical URL being active either on a theme that wasn't compatible or simply wasn't working correctly. I really would like to pay someone that I can explain the issue in more detail, to go over everything to double check my thinking is correct as I don't want to risk any further SEO issues.

I can show the right person with relevant knowledge the old site, new site and the huge list of 404 pages on Google Webmasters. I think with the correct knowledge this will be an easy one to fix.

Problem explained in more detail here:

http://www.prestasho...16#entry1343216

Thanks

Andrew

Edited by Andrew H (see edit history)