language url subfolders

Hi

Hoping someone can help me make a minor code change.

I'm upgrading from an old version of prestashop with 3 languages which are all categorised in the root directory. The new version of prestashop separates each language into it's own folder (which I know is better if I was starting fresh -but this is an old site with established google position).

When I enable anything more than the base language (english), it displays the URL as domainname.com/en/folder instead of domainname.com/folder. If I type in the old address it does forward to the new, but I really can't risk the loss of my google position (and have read horror stories about change of URL) as in-effect every URL would be changing (and that's too big a risk for me). I'll be much more comfortable making the new website live with the same URLs.

What I'd like to do, if someone can help tell me what I should do... is continute to display english in the root folder and the other languages in their respective folders. This must be possible because when I switch off the extra languages, it displays the main language in the root folder (as it does on the old site).

I'm guessing some code change could trick it to show English in the root folder and not in /en/ folder and so the website (in English at least) will have identical URLs that it does now.

Any advice/suggestions to do this appreciated!

thanks

Andrew

• 1 year later...

Hi Andrew,

I messaged you in another thread but I noticed you have this thread as well - any luck ever fixing this?

Thanks!