Prestashop on Linux very slow

Hello,

we have a Prestashop installation on a Linux shared hosting.

On our development server the store (with forced Smarty template compile, no caching, showing errors, etc...) takes 400-900ms to load a page (I'm talking about "waiting" time only - how log does the server take to complete a request).

On production server (shared hosting) it takes 1-10 seconds (waiting time only) to load a single page.

Admin is a bit faster, but it's very slow as well.

Of course production website is properly configured (no Smarty template compile, caching is active, etc...).

We tried all we could think about to check what's wrong.

We profiled queries as well, to check if there were some long queries slowing the load of the pages, but everything is ok.

The only thing we noticed is that during a page loading, the log file we created to store all queries began to fill regularly, then it stopped filling for half a second / 1second, then it continued to fill up, then it stopped filling again for another second, etc...

It seems like the process is being put on hold in the server cpu's round robin every x ms.

What I'd like to know is: is it normal/possible to happen (remember we're on a shared hosting)? Is there anything we can do to check if configuration is ok/if there is something we can test/do further to make the system go faster?

Thank you.

Prestashop version: 1.5.3.1

Theme: http://addons.prestashop.com/en/sport/6512-watches-prestashop-theme-prs040099.html

Server: Linux #8 SMP Fri Mar 22 12:21:06 CET 2013 x86_64

Web server: Apache/2.2.14 (Unix)

PHP version: 5.3.3-7+squeeze3

Memory limit: 140M

Max execution time: 60

MySQL: 5.5.13-enterprise-commercial-advanced-log

MySQL storage engine: InnoDB

We've already tested the site with GTMetrix.

Specify a Vary: Accept-Encoding header

Enable gzip compression

We can't specify those headers in .htaccess (because it's a shared hosting) in order to enable GZip compr and send accept-encoding header. We can do it on PHP side, but it would apply only to pages and not to css, js, etc…

Specify image dimensions

Serve scaled images

We don't have power on that (it's PrestaShop and its theme images, html and css doing it).

Minify JavaScript

Minify CSS

PrestaShop CSS and JS aren't minified.

Avoid CSS @import

It's PrestaShop (or the theme) doing it.

Edited by BluedaySrl (see edit history)

have you know the tips for optimization http://www.prestashop.com/en/top-tips and also optimize your product images and the slide images.. it will slighly improve the performance.

Another best way is you can get more tips from the experts .. just post the topic under test my site.. you can get more feedback

Edited by karthik who_am_i (see edit history)

Thank you for your suggestion. I've just checked those tips.

In production mode, Enable Smarty cache for faster page loads.

Already done.

Enable CCC settings to improve performance without touching the code of your theme.

I've just enabled it (it was disables). Server waiting times are always very high (8.85, 6.94 seconds), and it's normal because server waiting time is just the time the server takes to execute php code, perform queries to database, etc...

Increase load speed of images, CSS, and javascript by pulling the files from multiple servers.

We could do that, but as for CCC these improvements would increase page loading speed but they don't affect server waiting time.

PrestaShop provides a faster way to encrypt cookies.

This is ok.

Enable the caching system.

Enabled.