?Pack Function in production configuration page?

What is the purpose of the the "pack" function on product configuration page? I've tried searching the forum... nothing. It leads me to believe that I can attach a product to another. Please see the attached picture... perhaps i am not doing something right? When I purchase the product the the attached product does not show up on the packing slip. Is it simply to show a list of products that should be bought together?

10192_ofWO43jAV1BMnTgxsr61_t

Hi bozyboy
the pack function is for bundle products, in fact you can buy a pack of products to another price than each products taken separately. How it works really, it too soon for me to tell you because i don't even begin to test the nex 1.2 stable version.

Thank you for your reply Madrilene,

I think, from what I've gathered so far, the pack function only lists certain items that you want to bundle, but it doesn't add the products together. For example, if you select the pack feature and choose ipod product on a macbook product the ipod will show up as another product to separately "add to cart", instead adding the product automatically to the cart and including it in the invoice. There are four things that Prestashop needs to make it a contender with behemoth shopping carts like Magento and CRE Loaded.

1st a proper FDMS (file management distribution system), right now we are limited to uploading through the front end in stead of being able to specify a path to a downloadable product. So, we are left with the limitation of our hosting providers in the max_php_uploads area.

2nd, presta needs to be able to properly bundle products together.

3rd, Presta needs a proper shipping calculator and module for the US. ( I am waiting for the new super shipping module to come out)

4th, Presta needs a proper credit card module (i know there are some around, but i'm talking, officially support modules and not abandoned ones.)

I love presta to death, it just lacks to many features that I need right now. I can't wait to see what prestashops evolves into in the future, I'm very very excited to see!

hi again

the packed products don't consist into a one and unique product at the end ? You mean that people could have finally the choice not to buy the whole pack in once as the whole pack is not really displayed on the site as a product ? If it's true i'm very disappointed :-(

You make me smile because when you say you need a module to match better the us context, it's remind me that all the french posters about magento said it's too far with french tax system because it's developped by americans !

You know it's two years i'm waiting to build my site with Pestashop waiting for some important lacking functions, but if i had money i would pay for developpement, it's a solution and maybe you could try it if you get cash...either you have to lobby for your purpose :-)

Yes I was trying to attach a downloadable product to a Vinyl, so that if they bought a vinyl record they would get the digital download version free but i realized that the product is either "digital download" or "tangible product" ( you can't attache a downloadable file to a tangile file). Very disappointing. To be honest, it's been over a year that I have been waiting to see what Presta comes out with, it sucks because I love the system as a whole and the community is great, it's just too young and to be a completely full featured shopping cart. It works very well if you have just merchandise to sell, but if you want to sell digital dowloads that are over 200mb then you'll have a find a host that will support the upload limit that you need otherwise (since you can't just point to a url), you will be forced to use the lamest workaround in the world (ie. loading dummy file through frontend and then replacing with real file via FTP), plus the fact that you can't have more than one download per product. I ended up going with CRE loaded (foregoing all the ajax features i loved about presta), because Magento is just overkill. I'll wait and see what happens in the future, i'm not a hardcore programmer and I can't waste anymore time trying to find a fix or a workaround to the features i need right now.