[SOLVED] Canonical URLs 404 page redirect loop

tinyhands

I turned Canonical URLs on which seems to have messed with my 404 error page. When I try to load the 404 error page, I get a message:

This webpage has a redirect loop

The webpage at http://tinyhandsonline.com/404-error has resulted in too many redirects. Clearing your cookies for this site or allowing third-party cookies may fix the problem. If not, it is possibly a server configuration issue and not a problem with your computer.

I have both 404.php and 404.tpl files in my FTP, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

I turn Canonical URLs off, and the 404 error page works as it should, and all nonexistent/incorrect urls get redirected fine to the 404 page.

I just upgraded my site to 1.5.2 from 1.3.6 and *need* Canonical URLs to be turned on, but the 404 page problem is screwing up my SSL security at checkout.

Help, anyone?

SOLVED:

Turns out my friendly URL for the 404 page was "404-error", saved from my older version of prestashop. I changed the friendly url to "page-not-found" through the back office and the 404 error page shows up fine!

Edited by tinyhands (see edit history)

A big hand for tinyhands! Thank you! My host suspended my site twice because of all the 404 errors. The page resolved fine and I couldn't find any broken links, yet for each cart page viewed, tens to hundreds of 404 errors were being generated in cpanel. I finally realized that the only thing left that might not be able to be found was the page not found page itself, so I typed Prestashop 404 loop and found your post. How long it would have taken me to figure out that the non-friendly "404-error" url needed to be changed to "page-not-found" I can only guess, but given the amount of time already wasted on this, safe to say I owe you big time. Still not sure why the Presta team would change it, or default image names, for that matter. Changes like that don't strike me as improvements; they just invite trouble when upgrading. That said, beggars can't be choosers, and as open carts go, Presta is awesome, so I'll shut up and just say thanks again!