Updating from 1.4.8 to 1.5.2 messed up everything

Hi all, as I wrote on my latest topic, I have a Prestashop ecommerce website running on 1.4.8, with big and huge customizations, but everything is tidy and neat, so the customizations did not affect the core classes and controller (I used override for this): the major changes are on some modules (but they are few) and the theme that I designed by myself.

When I updated 1.4.8 to 1.5.2 I expected modules and themes to have some problem, and so it was (even though the theme works with few corrections).

I had big problems with overrides and modules (I used the autoupgrade module in order to update my website). The upgrade seems to have discarded all my overrides, so I think I'm gonna rewrite them all if I want to update them (and I wonder if the work of months is going to be useless).

So my post has two aims... first of all I want to advise you that if you are planning an update to 1.5.2 from 1.4.8 you have to face with hard work (if you obviously made hard customizations). Secondly I would like to ask to some members of Prestashop Team (or to someone that has tried to update his website) if there is a way to update not the entire website but only some new features that would be useful from 1.5.2. Thank you so much :-)