selling a product only in association with another [solved]

Hello,

I'm searching the way to sell a product like an optional of another, e.g. if you buy a car you can buy some optional, but only in association with that car. You can view them but you can't buy them only.

Is there any possibility to do this with PS (I have 1.5.0.17), by default or by a module?

Hoping in some help :)

Edited by viger (see edit history)

Well, actually it's all possible with default tools in PS.

I refer to 1.5.0.17

Scenario:

I sell a car. Whit this car you can buy some optionals: black wheels, radio, GPS, MP3. All this are optionals fo THIS CAR, it's NOT possible sell them alone, without the car. Of course all them have a price and need a description.

How to:

• Create the principal product, e.g. "A BIG CAR"
  • in Catalog==>Attributes and Values click "Add new Attributes" and add:
    • Black Wheels
    • Radio
    • GPS
    • MP3

with required translation and drop-down list or radio button (I like drop-down list for this)
  • now click on "Add new values"
  • from the drop-down list choose "Black Wheels" and type the value "yes" and "Save then add another value"
  • always for "Black Wheels" add value "no" and again "Save then add another value"
  • do this for each Attribute
  • when done, in the page "Attributes and Values" you will see your four optionals. Clicking the "+" at the right you will expand the values "yes" and "no" for each one
  • now back to the product==>"A BIG CAR"==>Combinations
  • click on "Products combination generator"
  • in the new screen, you'll see at the left all attributes with relative values
  • hold down ctrl key and click all you need: all yes and no for the four optional above
  • click add
  • compile all prices (in yes only field, of course) and wheight (if necessary):
    • Black wheels $ 100
    • Radio $ 200
    • GPS $ 50
    • MP3 $ 30

[*]at Step 2 you can define the quantity you have of this product and its combinations. Type 10 (yes, a good big car dealer :) )

[*]click "Generate"

[*]choose a default combination clicking the yellow asterisk on the right. I click all "no", a car without optional

[*]now you'll have all existing possibilities with these four optional:

post-408444-0-01780700-1351859434_thumb.png

Changing yes or no will affect the total price. Great!

Now, for each optional we need to create a product page in a dedicate new category (e.g "big car optional") with all necessary description, price, etc. Remember set in "Information" tab the only option "show price", not check "available for order". So the customer can well view the optional, know the price, etc, but can't buy it alone.

Of course in the description page of the optional and of the car, we must write all connections between the two items, etc.

But this is the hard work of the merchant! :D

And, of course, we can create more options that only "yes or "no", e.g an optional "Wheels" with Values "black" ($100), "gold" ($7000 - yes, true gold!), "iron" ($0) and set everything in the product pages and in the combination product page.

I think all this works very fine, clear and quite elegant. Great PS! B)