Auto Upgrade Max_Execution_Time

I've been trying repeatedly for at least a week to run the upgrade from 1.4.9 to 1.5.x

I have tried the AutoUpgrade, which has always worked for me in the past from 1.4.4

I have tried the manual upgrade.

All give errors.

The AutoUpgrade always gives the same error

[Ajax / Server Error] textStatus: "error" errorThrown:"Internal Server Error" jqXHR: "
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, root@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have

There is not further info of use in the server logs or the Chrome debug console.

Always at the same point, it backs up the files and database, it copies the new files, then it starts "Now upgrading database. this can take a while ..."

Exactly 1 minute later I get the error above.

I am using a shared hosting server and from running phpinfo() I can see that my max_execution_time is set to 60. I have a feeling that even though the AdminSelfUpgrade.php script sets a max_execution_time to 0 my host is overriding it for performance reasons. I have tried changing this script to a time of 120 seconds but that makes no difference, it still stops at 60 seconds.

Is there a way to split the database part in to more manageable chunks like it plainly does with the file copy?

My DB isn't that large, a SQL dump file is only about 6MB, so I'm a bit stumped as to what can be taking so long.