Site Redirects to sub folder - Tried all possibilities but no solution has worked for me.

I've read similar problems on the forum a number of times and have tried refraining to post this from the last 1 month. However, none of the solutions worked for me so I had no option but to post this here.

I have a strange problem regarding urls

I have the site hosted in a folder on my server.

When I change the PS directory to / and generate a htaccess file, the site shows www.sitename.com and BO shows www.sitename.com/foldername/admin

When I change the PS directory to /foldername/ and generate a htacess file, the FO site shows www.sitename.com/foldername/ and BO still shows www.sitename.com/foldername/admin

In both the cases it redirects to the foldername for the BO.

Some History

Earlier it was working perfectly fine and I dont remember the settings. The config folder got overwritten by mistake. To get rid of this problem I actually deleted the whole thing and reinstalled everything but it gave me the problem I'm facing above. I remember the time to first byte and performance was also lot better before I did the blunder.

Somebody please come to the rescue before I get sacked!

• 1 month later...

Folks! Finally have a solution to this. The problem was with the htaccess file. I'm hosted on a Windows server and I never knew that windows server does not recognize the htaccess file. I moved my server from Windows to Linux and now it is Superrrrrrrrrrr Fast!