SEO Auto Fill url rewriting doesn't work

I recently got the SEO Auto Fill module and of course something has not to work.

My steps:

Downloaded the zip file and uploaded using the admin panel module installer as usual. I changed the file permissions for the seohelping folder to 777. I installed the module using the admin panel. I then clicked on Configure in the module section of the admin panel and started adding my settings. I saved it and went to my page but no adjustments had been done. I even tried to delete the cache & compile content in tools/smarty/. Still no improvements.. all was as it was before. Worth to mention is that I have tried to use both the friendly urls on and off. Anyone got a guide or something to get this module working?

Edit: The module actually seems to be working now. However, I can't rewrite my urls. I put {product_name} in url rewrite but when I go to the product page it still looks like this: www.domain.com/category/product.html. It's supposed to look like this: www.domain.com/product.html.

For testing purposes I have tried this module on two different webhosts with the exact same problem. URL rewriting does not work.

What am I doing wrong now?

Edit2:

When putting this in the url rewrite field in the module configuration:

{product_name}test

It acutally changes my url from this:

www.domain.com/category/product.html

to this:

www.domain.com/category/producttest.html

So the module seems to be rewriting the url but not eliminating the category part.

Edit3:

If all this tool can do is rewriting the part of the url I show below in bold I'd say it's same as crap and it's a shame they call that url rewriting because they truely (if that's the deal here) lured me into buying something that didn't excist.

www.domain.com/category/13-testigentest.html

I am going to continue investigate it closer until I get a reply here. I really hope that this is not true.

Edited by Noyes (see edit history)

I must say I am very disappointed about this tool. I really got an expression that there was a lot more to it than what there actually was. I was under the impression I could rewrite my urls as it said in the presentation of the module:

15i18v6.jpg

To get an idea what this acutally means, let me show you below. The first image is taken when no changes are made to the url. And the second image shows when changes are in place and the url is "rewritten".

5wwkd2.jpg

So what changes have I done? I added the category name to the url and what does it give me? Well, it seems to be rewriting the product part of the url giving it the category name aswell. But really? Is that all? If I am completely wrong about this please let me know.

At this point the url rewriting part of the module which was the main reason why I purchased this doesn't really do what I expected it to do. And the fact you can't get refunded doesn't make it better. So if you wanna spend over £170 on this "SEO"-module. Be my guest but don't expect much.

Once again, I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

I will update this thread and say a few things. Maybe nobody cares but I believe it can help people a lot seeing of what I have just experienced with two different tools.

As you might know I started out buying the Auto Fill SEO tool. That tool really works well if you have loads of products you want to set a specific title, meta tag or similar for. It's quite restricted and doesn't allow much more changes than what I just mentioned. As I know SEO quite well the only things that tool really makes easy is to create titles and meta tags. Rest feels just not very much needed to pay much attention to. If you wanna rewrite urls I do not recommend this tool, please go with the one I write about below instead.

So my second purchase was the URL Rewriting + module and this is one tool that so far has satisfied my needs. Basically you can rewrite your urls exactly the way you want them. It's incredible easy and you don't have to be a computer freak to understand how to do it. So far it has done what I wanted it to do and I am very happy I did the purchase.

All in all: Have you got hundreds, maybe thousands of products and wanna create new titles and meta tags more easily? Then go for the SEO-tool but don't expect much more than that. If you need a module to rewrite your urls, go for the URL Rewriting + tool instead!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I have to agree that this seems like a very poor module, especially for the price. There is zero documentation and I have yet to see any evidence that it's working. The module is installed and when you configure it you get the option to set the language and the category to optimise but then that's it! No 'Run' button or any other evidence of how you get the module to work. Noyes--did you get extra to this? I'm on 1.5.4.2

I know developers hate documentation, but really....

• Like 1