CRITICAL DUPLICATED URL BUGS + WEBMASTER TOOL

Hello,

Im writing here because i really hope someone can give us a good suggestion how to solve this incredible issue on one Website.

We made the update from PS 1.3.6. to 1.4.6. at the begin of Febraury.

At that time the Website was really good ranked and got around 2000K / unique visitors pro DAY.

After the update we had the following issues:

1)The Traffic was decreasing quickly;

2)In the Webmaster Tool we had more than 3000 NOT FOUND Pages:

orderby=name&orderway=asc

orderby=price&orderway=asc

?n=10&orderby=price&orderway=asc&id_category=6

3)The Sitemap Generator was generating also Pages with foreigner languages like lang-de/.. lang-fr/.. etc. These pages were also not found pages.

4)Our Solution:

a)We blocked more than 10000 NOT FOUND Pages in the Robots.txt

b)We used the new PrestaChangeo Module 1.7.3 in order to generate a new Sitemap (It doenst solve the issue!!!!!).

c)We are trying to figure out how is possible that Google index only the wrong links and not the real links.

5)SITUATION:

The Website its OUT of the SERP, this business generated more than 1 MILION USD pro year and since 1 month its decreasing a lot.

We really hope someone of the Prestashop Team can solve this problem as soon as possible.

Please get in touch with you otherwise we have to follow some other ways to manage this situation.

We are using also Magento on some other Website, Magento had NEVER given such issues!

Thank you for the attention,

Problem in friendly urls http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rewrite_engine

You'd think that when you upgrade to a new version of the site, with the 1.3.x to 1.4.x, you do not lose nothing? You should test all before update...

After updating your pages are dropped from the search because site links to them have changed...friendly urls in new version give another links to pages I think, or where in old version they don't work, in new version they work fine...

Better way restore all from backup, if you do backup..

Hi Kerm,

Thank you for the Email and for the argument you bring in the discussion.

The point is that we coudlnt use the PS 1.3.x anymore, the theme and some module were available only for the 1.4.x.

Im just very angry and i couldnt understand how is possible the PS Team doesnt solve this issue. As far as i know the PS Generator 1.7 had also some bugs and probably it caused the duplication of the URL.

Now are are trying the last way to fix the issue, we are updating the Website to the 1.4.7.

Please if there is someone of the PS Team which can confirme us all will work find after the update to 1.4.7.

Regards

you're blaming prestashop for an oversight on your part? If you have such a busy and succesful website, why are you not employing a web marketing consultancy or development company who should have KNOWN what to do beforehand?

As far as i know the PS Generator 1.7 had also some bugs and probably it caused the duplication of the URL.

the generator just creates the htaccess file used for the friendly URL's. It does nothing with automatic redirects from the old system to the new one.

a)We blocked more than 10000 NOT FOUND Pages in the Robots.txt

You have blocked the page variants. However this will make no difference to your current positions. Again, had you consulted a proficient SEO consultant, you would know this. Instead of blocking, you should have set up a wildcard redirect to the main product page. This again, should have been explained had you consulted someone.

Blaming prestashop for an oversight on your part isnt perhaps the best solution to your problems. Nor is suggesting legal action for something , which again, you caused yourself from lack of preparation and knowledge.

Can i ask, are you employing a consultant or SEO Marketing firm?

Dear adibranch,

Thank you very much for the answer!

Unfortunately i think you havent got the real issue.

1. The Module "PRESTASHOP SITEMAP GENERATOR 1.7" had a big bug, it generated crazy links (please have a look you will find the Prestachargeo FIX Sitemap 1.7.3). This is the main issue of the Website, not the Update 1.3 to 1.4. It was really fine and without any Not found page (the redirect function worked perfectly!).

2. We blocked only the links with wrong text and languages like:

orderby=name&orderway=asc

orderby=price&orderway=asc

?n=10&orderby=price&orderway=asc&id_category=6

Thank you very much for your feedback!

sorry only just seen this.

If you mean the XML sitemap generator as opposed to a standard HTML sitemap, then it will make NO difference whatsoever to your indexing in google. The XML sitemap is used for reference only . It does not influence google in how your site should be indexed, nor does it remove or add pages from your site in google, it not will it affect your SEO or your site placements in any way.

the reason you are seeing the 404's in webmaster tools is that you told google you had a page called xxxzzz when you didnt, so its telling you that it couldnt find it. If you resubmit a new correct XML sitemap, you'll stop seeing the errors.

XML sitemaps were mainly used to give google a list of pages that it may have 'missed' on its travels. If you don't use one, or if you use a wrong one, it wont make a difference to your placements. Google will see the 404 on an incorrect page, and just move on to the next one. It wont index the missing or 404's pages, nor will it remove or devalue any other pages.

XML sitemaps are pretty much dead in terms of SEO now.. only really useful for checking your indexed page count against your total pages (via webmaster tools). I must stress again, they will NOT influence or alter your results in the search engines.