Layered Navigation Block, Attributes, and Features

I want to use the Layered Navigation Block to be able to display items that have a certain feature, but using Attributes and Features introduce other elements that I don't want seen on the product pages.

For example, I have a listing of fishfinders. Each product comes with either a color or grayscale display - there's no combination available (i.e. if there's a model FISH123, there's no FISH123 in color and FISH123 in grayscale). I may have 20 fishfinders, with maybe 12 with color displays and 8 with grayscale displays.

The LNB would be useful for customers looking for either type of display, and I would have to add either an Attribute or a Feature for the color/grayscale option to show up in the LNB. Here's where my unwanted features show up.

• If I were to use Attributes for each of the products, in the product listing I get a drop-down menu with only one attribute - either Color or Grayscale, depending on the product. Is there a way to disable the menu if there is only one attribute showing?
  • If I were to use Features for each of the products, in the product listing I get a Data Sheet tab with only one feature listed. Is there a way to disable to Data Sheet tab in this case?

A solution to either one of these would be great. Thanks!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...