What setup do you use?

leetvape

Hello all,

I'm a Rails dev by day but I'm using prestashop as the platform for my ecommerce store. In Rails, we use Github for subversion and push changes to the code up in 'branches' made from the source. Then we compare the two sets of code and changes are merged into the main source of code for testing on the staging site.

Achieving this effect for a prestashop powered site is proving a little harder. As of now, I am using Textmate to navigate and change the code but I can't devise a way to code and view my changes as I develop.

What setup are you guys using? As of now, I am forced to make copies of our site from the FTP folders, make changes to files one-by-one and then copy the changed files back into the site over FTP. Very laborious and time consuming and not effective development.

What software are you guys using to make changes to your sites? How do you merge in changes?

Happy coding!

I am coming from using X Cart myself, back to the old X Cart v4.1.11 it's horrible to customise why I am trying to convince a few of my boss's that Prestashop is a much better solution, as it has allot of the stuff I very badly shifted around doing in X Cart because it does simply not have that support it's a horrible system to try and customise.

I am very impressed with Prestashop at it's speed of delivering responses to the user much more quickly than X Cart even on the newest version it's teadiously slow, anyways onto about development.

As we can't really do allot of IDE stuff, though occasionally I do if there's a much bigger task ahead (like I will be using for what I am trying to do with Prestashop), I use Netbeans IDE using their plugin for PHP, loads the documentation in for you and gives you hints as to what to put into each function.

But for the much smaller things, or things I really want to understand in depth I use my SSH login to our server and customise using WinSCP, with Notepad++ and then do various like ownership changes using Putty's SSH client with our servers remote login service which is of course Secure Shell (or SSH) which runs on S-FTP.

That's what I prefer to use, I know doing projects I want to understand in Notepad++ is very slow but sometimes I prefer to do that so I fully understand a project and then for speed use some IDE so I can just run that script from the Netbeans IDE.

Awesome, thanks for the reply man. I'm going to give NetBeans a shot. I need something closer to an IDE and since I'm not having to go through servers or work remotely like you are, I'm hoping to find a solution. I don't have to worry much about ownership or permissions and that's a big plus on my end. I just need some setup that will get me uploading code faster and can't be tested in a browser more dynamically than uploading files over FTP every time I perform a change.

Is there something out there that will synchronize local folders over FTP to the server side folders? Does FileZilla have this capability?

Anybody wanna chime in?

Hi,

I must say the question is not really clear... I don't understand why you speak about Git/Rails ..?

From what I understand, you want to know how other people test & deploy ?

Personnaly, I have put the folders that are intended to be modified (modules, overrides, ...) under SCM using Git. This way I can control what changes I make in those folders.

I don't understand why you need to push your changes to the FTP..? Can't you install LAMP locally ?

IMHO, the best option is to have your "working copy" locally under any SCM of your choice (Git, SVN, Mercurial...), you work locally until you have something stable, then you deploy to the "live" server.

Regarding tools to sync your changes, there is the well known rsync : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync

But you will need to have more than FTP access

I copy the entire build into a "sites" folder then sub it if needs to be so "sites/folder1" "sites/folder2" etc

Code direct within them files and then by running MAMP Pro I simply browse to localhost/sites/filename in my browser and see the updates there, I only FTP once the entire project is finished.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Personnaly, I have put the folders that are intended to be modified (modules, overrides, ...) under SCM using Git. This way I can control what changes I make in those folders.

I don't understand why you need to push your changes to the FTP..? Can't you install LAMP locally ?

IMHO, the best option is to have your "working copy" locally under any SCM of your choice (Git, SVN, Mercurial...), you work locally until you have something stable, then you deploy to the "live" server.

@mexique1 and other experienced PS sages

I'm brand new to PrestaShop but look forward to a more sane ecommerce system than Magento. We're currently setting up our directory structure with Git repositories. In the past we used svn to setup a skeleton project using svn:externals to pull modules and 3rd party libraries into the project. I'm not having any luck finding description of similar setups for PS and Git.

Could you share folder structure you use to setup PS core and modules under Git. SVN has a well defined pattern to deal with vendor branches, is there something similar with Git?

Thanks in advance