Please review my webshop for Multimedia PC products

AKJV

Dear All,

Finally, after a long time of developing, designing and tweaking, I have launched my webshop. Bear in mind that I'm not a webdeveloper nor a designer, but I'm always eager to learn new things and have found a lot of useful info in this forum and elsewhere.

I was aiming for a clean and clear design and have implemented some features that are not present in Prestashop out of the box.

Things that I consider highlights of my webshop:

- Fully bilingual (Dutch and English); perhaps not that special but still rare for webshops based in the Netherlands

- Extended availibility info (horizontal 'traffic light') for products on the homepage and product-lists

- Product features, grouped and in a nice table layout (in Data sheet tab of products)

- Advanced product configuration options (mainly HTPC systems), thanks to Tomers great AWP module)

I would really appreciate it if you could have a look at the site and let me know which aspects you like and which you don't or where there's room for improvement.

My webshop:

http://pcavenue.nl/

Many thanks in advance!

Regards,

Andreas

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Andreas!

Right here goes....

You have achieved what you set out to achieve, the site has clean lines, simple and uncluttered design, yet subtly clever and effective!

Love the colour choices/contrasts, really neat touch!

The traffic lights and data sheet are fantastic additions. For someone who is not a developer the site is so smooth!

I very much like the section entitled 'Buying at PC Avenue' - really nice touch with the icons and idea.

I know you have tried to include every eventuality to cover yourself legally (pages), but I think maybe there is too much information, although you have kept it well away from the homepage, so I suppose people can choose to read it if they wish.

I can see just how much effort you have put into the site, it must have taken you ages! Great job!

This is just my opinion - although I like the design of the slideshow, i find the transitions a bit 'jarring' and the 'jiggle' distracts me as I browse. Is there anyway it could be softened slightly?

Also, I don't know how you feel about 'view' buttons, but I felt a bit lost without them! I like them as an extra help to navigate the site. Momentarily I wasn't too sure what to do to find the extra information. Maybe it's just me, but I think people like to be 'led by the nose' - lol!

Excellent site, Andreas! It inspires professionalism, knowledge of the product and trust in the seller.

You should be quite rightly proud of all your hard work! Sales will take time, always slow in the beginning, especially with 'luxury items'. Coming up to Christmas now, you should start a wee advertising campaign, offer some deals/discounts to get people browsing and buying.

All the best, Andreas! With a site like that, the sales will be flowing in!

If you need anything checked, please let me know - I will do my best to help.

Wendy :)

• Like 1

Generally really good.

Few criticisms:

Slideshow - as what Wendy said. Furthermore the grey wood pattern takes away from the cleanliness of the site.

I don't like the greeny colour scheme.

Other than that, it's really clean. Keep it this way!

• Like 1

@ AKJV

Very nice i well designed website, i understand what RickySee and wendy said about the slideshow but i understand why you did it this way. It look like it is a HTCP front and think that this was the reason you made it this way.

Maybe if you make the wood pattern more look like aluminum pattern and a little more light grey then it looks better.

Further it look really perfect.

Congrats on this nice theme.

ysco..

• Like 1

You have achieved what you set out to achieve, the site has clean lines, simple and uncluttered design, yet subtly clever and effective!

Love the colour choices/contrasts, really neat touch!

The traffic lights and data sheet are fantastic additions. For someone who is not a developer the site is so smooth!

I very much like the section entitled 'Buying at PC Avenue' - really nice touch with the icons and idea.

I know you have tried to include every eventuality to cover yourself legally (pages), but I think maybe there is too much information, although you have kept it well away from the homepage, so I suppose people can choose to read it if they wish.

I can see just how much effort you have put into the site, it must have taken you ages! Great job!

This is just my opinion - although I like the design of the slideshow, i find the transitions a bit 'jarring' and the 'jiggle' distracts me as I browse. Is there anyway it could be softened slightly?

Also, I don't know how you feel about 'view' buttons, but I felt a bit lost without them! I like them as an extra help to navigate the site. Momentarily I wasn't too sure what to do to find the extra information. Maybe it's just me, but I think people like to be 'led by the nose' - lol!

Excellent site, Andreas! It inspires professionalism, knowledge of the product and trust in the seller.

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for your elaborate feedback!

It's nice to know which elements you like, I'll make sure not to mess up those aspects.

Now, regarding those points you feel could be done better:

1) I agree that the CMS pages are a bit too long, I will try to make them more concise to increase readability.

2) The slideshow transition is indeed a bit jarring and distracting. I have now replaced the current transition effect with a fade in/out effect that seems easier on the eye. I'll see if I can add more 'eyecandy' to the slideshow (transition) without being too distracting in the near future.

3) Initially, I decided to leave out 'View' buttons since I found them redundant and to save some precious real estate. But I'm planning to redesign those product segments on the homepage and product-listings and I'll see if I can include them again.

So thanks again that you've taken time to look at my website!

Best,

Andreas

Generally really good.

Few criticisms:

Slideshow - as what Wendy said. Furthermore the grey wood pattern takes away from the cleanliness of the site.

I don't like the greeny colour scheme.

Other than that, it's really clean. Keep it this way!

Hi RickieSee,

Thanks for looking at my website, I really appreciate it!

The 'grey wood' pattern supposed to be a 'brushed metal' pattern. Clearly, it doesn't come across as such :P

And you're spot on that it seems out of touch with the rest of my design. I'll replace this with a simpler pattern (or perhaps just a grey color) soon.

Now about the green color, I knew that my color scheme would be a bit 'controversial'; either you like it or you dislike it. My line of thought was that the color scheme should draw attention (so that people would remember my website for it) without being a deterrent. The latter is still open for discussion and I'll keep a close tab on feedback from anyone (incl. future customers) regarding this.

@ AKJV

Very nice i well designed website, i understand what RickySee and wendy said about the slideshow but i understand why you did it this way. It look like it is a HTCP front and think that this was the reason you made it this way.

Maybe if you make the wood pattern more look like aluminum pattern and a little more light grey then it looks better.

Further it look really perfect.

Congrats on this nice theme.

ysco..

Hi ysco,

Thanks for your kind comments!

Yup, the bottom of the slideshow is supposed to be a HTPC/mediaplayer facade. And again, the 'brushed metal' look doesn't seem to stick :) so I'll replace that soon enough.

Bedankt!

Andreas

• 2 weeks later...

MUCH better slide show Andreas! Far softer and less distracting - good job! :)

Hi Wendy,

Thanks!

I also replaced the slideshow controls background with a simple grey color. Control buttons embedding look much better this way.

PS

Meant to say the green wouldn't be my choice of colour, but for what it's worth I think it's the right choice for your site and looks really well, especially with the purple splashes of colour.

:)

Thanks for your feedback on this! I might implement a slightly softer shade of green sometime in the future, to make it less 'controversial' :)