(Solved) Showing other similar products in same category

Hi Guys,

When a customer views a particular product, I would like them to be able to see similar available products at the bottom of the product page. I have seen shops with this and wondered does the module come as standard and I stupidly can't find it! Or is there a free/paid module somewhere that I can access?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Wendy smile.gif

Hi Wendy,

Cross-selling is for displaying items that previous customers bought together with the item on the current product page.

What you're looking for is 'Products Category'. This module (can be found in the Front Office Features modules) is for displaying other items from the same (sub)category.

Both features can be displayed on product pages. In fact, that should be the default setting. If not, check BO->Modules->Positions. You should find both modules in 'Product Footer'. If not, place them there.

Cheers,

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

Thank you for replying! I have found the cross-selling module - it is in the Product Footer, but I can't find Product Category anywhere! I checked positions, it wasn't there, so went to transplant a module, but it's not showing on the list.

Can I download it from somewhere?

Thanks again! smile.gif

That's odd...

Products Category is a native Prestashop module and comes with at least all PS 1.4.x versions.

Could you look at your modules folder and check if you can find /modules/productscategory?

If not, then check your downloaded PS installation files as well.

You could then upload (via FTP) modules/productscategory folder to you /modules folder on the webserver.

When you do have that folder already in your installed PS, then perhaps that module is not installed?

We'll get to the bottom of this!

Andreas

Ok, at least now we can be sure that you really, really don't have that module in your installed modules folder.

I assume you have once downloaded the PS installation files (as a compressed zip file) from prestashop.com. If you can't find back that file anymore, then you should download that again. It's best to download and use the module from the same version as installed. For older PS versions, please check here:

http://code.google.com/p/prestashop/downloads/list.

Please report back :)

That is weird indeed. Let's blame it on Sunday Blues :)

Right, next step would be to check if you have correct filter settings for your list of modules in BO. Check in BO->Modules if your settings in the dropdown menu are 'All Modules', 'Installed & Uninstalled' and 'Enabled & Disabled'. If not, please correct this setting and click on 'Filter' (button right of these dropdown menus) and recheck the 'Front Office Features' modules list.

Ok, I just read your new post. So then downloading PS installation file and uploading the /productscategory folder still applies.

• Like 1

Right! This is too weird - lol! Downloaded the correct version of Prestashop, found the module and placed it in the modules folder via the FTP manager. Module appeared in the front office modules, clicked to enable and it disappeared! Went through the process again, module appeared, it says it's in the correct position, but has disappeared off the front office modules list. The icon associated with the module is not showing, so there must be something wrong with it.

What do you thing, Andreas?

smile.gif

Don't believe it! Can't find module, but it's working in the shop - lol!

I'm obviously far too dim for this malarky - lol!

Thank you so much for helping Andreas - I will mark topic as solved! I wish I understood better was is happening, but at least it's working!

Thanks again for all you help and patience!! biggrin.gif

Hmmm, Sunday blues is really persistent today!

Could you check permissions of your newly uploaded module? It's should be 755 for folders and 644 for files.

While you're at it, could you check what folder/file permissions you have for some other modules (of which you know that are are working properly)?

EDIT: Glad to know it's working. Still, I'm a bit concerned that the module is not showing up in your modules list. Checking permission might still be a good idea...

Cheers,

Andreas

I'm (almost) running out of ideas now...

So what you're saying is that, after uploading this module folder, you have been able to INSTALL and ENABLE the module and then it disappeared from the module list? But the module name is listed in the 'Positions' options and the feature does show up on your website?

The theme that you bought, was it something that you just had to upload to your /themes folder or was it a repackaged PS installation? In the latter case, could you check if there's a /themes/yourtheme/modules/productscategory folder?

I'm asking this cause I'm still puzzled why you were missing this native module in the first place.

EDIT: and can you confirm that the filters settings for listing your modules are correct? Perhaps it's also best to uninstall the 'Layered Navigation' module. That function is still riddled with bugs and can result in weird conflicts with other modules and webshop functions.

Hi Andreas,

Yes, weird I know! I can't find the module anywhere in the back office! When I clicked enable it just disappeared! I can see it in positions and if I go to transplant a module, it is listed there and also fully working on the site!!

I will upload again and see what happens!

The theme was just one I had to upload to my themes folder.

I'll go upload again and let you know what happens! blink.gif

Those greedy leprechauns! Stealing once I can understand (they're probably building their own PS webshop) but stealing twice is too much!

Two more things that you could do:

- log out and in again into your BO and check if problem still persists; also try a different browser.

- make your own zip file with the module's folders and files (productscategory root folder should be contained in zip file), delete current module via FileZilla and try to install this module using 'Add a module from my computer' option in your 'Modules' tab.

Those are the last things that I can think of... If no improvement, leave it as it is and keep a close eye on the presence of this function in your webshop in time to come. Not really a solution, I know...

Logged out and in. Made a zip folder and uploaded through back Office - no problems. Module appeared, clicked configure and it disappeared again!

Thanks so much for all the advice, Andreas - you have been so good sticking with it!

I think we'll have to give up for now - at least it's working! I will keep an eye on it though....

Hot topic - lol!

A million thanks for all your help......off to have a word with those naughty leprechauns - hehe! tongue.gif

Wendy

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

I'm telling ya Mark - I'm innocent this time - lol! Bl**dy leprechauns again!

Did u get any 7mm circular stickers? Hehe! You didn't rate my customer service!

Hope you had a fantastic birthday, couldn't believe it was your 50th - how time flies!

W x