Cart weight exceeding UPS's limit [UPS module]

So I have the UPS module installed and working. It's been returning prices ok (a little higher than the actual UPS site but acceptable) and allowing checkout.

There is an issue because our products are HEAVY. We have clients who are trying to order products at the weight of 100lbs or more and the UPS module is returning a warning that says "We can not ship to your address" (which is NOT the correct error). I tested all addresses that returned this with a smaller amount/weight in the cart and it works just fine.

I later found out that UPS allows a shipping limit of 70lbs per package which I would assume would return an error when passing the weight over to the UPS API. I need a solutions to this and I am sure this is going to pop up in other stores as well.

The first thing I would like to change before a REAL change comes around is to display the message "The items in your cart exceed the UPS allowed weight of 70lbs. Please contact customer service to place your order for you"

Then the next option would be to check if >70lbs and if it is split the costs into 70lbs increments.. so a 140lbs cart would return the price for two 70lbs packages.. a 140lbs cart would return the price for 2 70lbs packages and 1 5lbs package

Thoughts?

• 4 years later...

I have the same problem. I used the Webkul UPS shipping module and they don't support after 3 months so can't help me. The UPS shipping methods totally disappear upon reaching 70lbs instead of dividing by 2 boxes.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

• 5 months later...