Migrating CMS pages to .tpl pages, huge charset issues!

Muller

Hiya,

I'm now in the process of migrating my CMS pages to normal .tpl pages. The reason is that once the site launches, I won't be able to make changes to CMS pages locally on my localhost database and then exporting the database to the live server because that will overwrite the entire database, including sales and such. I followed the official documentation for creating new pages. The php includes the config, header, displays my tpl file, and then includes the footer.

I copy/pasted the code from the cms page into a text file (via notepad), and renamed the extension to tpl. I saved it with UTF-8 encoding.

The problem is that there are huge formatting differences. I checked the obvious things like differences in CSS, and there isn't.

It seems that all the <p> </p> that I used to create line breaks with the CMS text editor no longer create a line break. Also the .tpl version had a line break before the entire page?!

I attached an image to highlight the differences. The red boxes are the differences.

sj4ik.jpg

Does anyone have any idea what is this about? Has anyone successfully migrated from CMS pages to normal php/tpl pages? I could manually fix all these errors but I have over 15 pages and while it isn't the end of the world, I'd really want to understand why this is happening.

*Bump*

Please help.

1) For those using CMS pages - How do you update those pages once the store has gone live? Do you just update the live version?

2) Has anyone successfully migrated from CMS pages to normal .tpl pages?

why not just overwrite the ps_cms_lang table using phpmyadmin?

Or you could always compare the page sources and see where those differences are coming from.

The sources are identical, that's what is amazing.

Anyway, you're saying the content of CMS pages is the ps_cms_lang table? I can use phpmyadmin to export only that table, and then import only that table? That would work as well.