How to reinstall locally, upgrade, and load to live site?

I had to do a clean install of my OS and was just finishing up a work site in prestashop (in lampp) that was in v.1.4.2.5. I have not yet restored it to lampp here on my rebuilt computer but since it is basically ready to go live, I'd like to do it all at once.

So I need to:

1. reinstall prestashop here on my computer (which now has lampp's work sites in a different location by the way: /home/public_html rather than in /opt/lampp with the app itself)

2. upgrade my work site to the v.1.4.3.0 newest version and import all the work I've done

3. load the finished site to the www address and go live.

What is the best sequence to do this? Install a clean 1.4.3.0 here in lampp, import the images, mail, etc., and especially the database from the 1.4.2.5 work site, and then try to upload it the web? Or, install 1.4.3 directly to the live site, and then do all the importing from my local database? And then finally download a completed live backup?

As far as making changes to the database to fill it with data, and point it to the right url and directory, what's the best way: manually in phpmyadmin after importing the db, using the 'synchronize' feature of phpmyadmin (which I've never tried), or using a comparison app like meld?

I saved the 1.4.2.5 db both as a standard export with the default settings, and as an export with the drop tables option - which do I use to overwrite the new clean one with the old's data?

And, is there anything else I'm missing that will mess this up? I hope this is all clear - obviously I'm new to prestashop, phpmyadmin, and mysql, so any detailed help would be really appreciated.

Thanks one and all.

First of all migrate your installation to your new machine. Set it to working state. Keep your img folder and /config/settings.inc.php file in safe place. Unpack 1.4.3 to your installation folder and copy there your /img folder from 1.4.2.5. (just follow official upgrade manual - google it) copy there your settings.inc.php file. Start upgrading process and when update your databaase to 1.4.3 delete install folder and move your instalation to hosting server, export local database and import it to your host. Change setting in your /config/settings.inc.php to fit your hosting provider setting and domain. Find in forum how to move site from localhost to domain. That's all. Do not foget to set correct folder and file permissions settings.inc.php - must be writable too !!.

• 4 weeks later...

I just tried to shortcut the process of reinstalling and then upgrading my 1.4.2.5 installation to 1.4.4.0 directly by doing a fresh install of 1.4.4.0 and then dropping the sql tables and importing my older saved database. (This is all local in lampp, still have not gone live yet.)

Before doing the fresh 1.4.4.0 installation I added in all the /img data and the other directory data that I would have normally included in a typical upgrade - /img, /mail, /upload, etc... I let the installer generate a new settings.php, as I have changed the directory location as well, from /public_html/catalog to /public_html/shop.

When the fresh install was first done, both the front and back offices worked fine and I could get to them from the final page of the installation procedure with no problem, so it installed ok. All seemed fine.

I then dropped the tables and imported my saved sql database, hoping it would match all my images and data from the old 1.4.2.5.

This has almost worked: in the front office I can see the copy that I wrote and all the product data except for the images (there are image placemarkers and urls to the picture IDs but no images).

And now my email/password combo will not let me in to the back office "Employee does not exist or password is incorrrect".

Both of these issues seem like they might be small things to fix, if I knew what I was doing in php, etc., which I don't...

Any way to get these working again, or at least get my in to my back office (since if this works it would save me a lot of install/upgrade/etc steps to get a current 1.4.4.0 version running)?

I am not familiar enough with php, sql, and the RIJNDAEL_KEY and COOKIE_KEY to know where to look - I'd really appreciate info as to how to get my user and password data combo back (where is that actually stored?), as well as what might be causing the images not to display.

Thank you very much.