Will this work and if some advise please.

Hi,

Is it possible to run everything offline, then transfer it all over to the htdocs, change the paths etc to then make it live.

In other words, i want to put all the products on and test using prestshop in localhost mode, then once its all up and running then change it over to a live verison?

thanks

Yes, you can do that.  :)  But once you have uploaded your database, work with it only on your host's server, not your local testing server. 

If your host has your web server and mysql database set up on the same machine, you may not even have to change the connection file, as it will be local.  However, if they are on separate machines, you will need to change "localhost" to the name of your host's mysql database server.  This file is found in your config folder and is called "settings", I believe (but do double-check me on this!). 

You might find Bruno's post on this thread helpful:

http://www.prestashop.com/forum/index.php/topic,1168.0.html

I am waiting for v1.0 to come out before loading all my products.  I have a few test products already loaded on this version, just to get an understanding of how PrestaShop works and what I can do with it.  When the new version comes out, I am going to zap the current version of PrestaShop and my piddly little database and start all over with a fresh install and spanking new empty db rather than upgrading. 

I am too much of a dummy to be very successful with an upgrade that major, I fear, and don't want to lose a lot of work.  Dummies like me need to be patient.  Perhaps I am being overly cautious and someone here more experienced than I can assure me that I need not worry about losing or corrupting my db with the upgrade to v1.0, even with my lack of skills and knowledge. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for the reply your very helpful.

I was kinda hanging on till v1.0 too like you but will it be full of bugs or is bug hunting being done atm, i don't want to upload everything to find the v1.0 corrupts etc or some issue, i can not find any post that gives a clear indication of when v 1.0 is coming

cheers

dark