100% width (again I'm sure)

I know this has probably been asked a million times.. but is it really not possible to modify the default theme to a 100% (fluid) width? i.e. left and right columns fixed, center column adjustable..

I've tried my hardest to get my client to abandon the idea, but he's hell bent that he wants his shop to be "just like this guys.. see, it fills the whole screen".

I've burned an entire 2 days trying to figure this out. Have come very close, but no cigar... It's driving me absolutely mad!
Have tried just about everything I can think of. Any suggestions, or am I just out of luck?

The (very) jacked up version of what I'm working on now is here:
www.architecturalscience.com/wms

It's pretty much in shambles at the moment, but it is what it is I guess.. looked awesome a couple days ago until this 100% width thing came up :/

his current site is here: www.wholesalemotorsports.us
Which I also did via cubecart a few years ago..
What he's wanting to emulate is here: www.powersportsmax.com

Any suggestions would be swell, I'm about to start bashing my head against a wall...

I'm assuming that the lack of response means I'm just out of luck...
Was nearly there this afternoon with absolute positioning, but bringing the browser window down to less than about 900px and things started to overlap :(

What I'm gathering is the Header grabbing the left and center column (center column being left open) and the footer closing the center column and calling the right column is the culprit? Anyone know the reasoning behind this format? Seems to be what's causing all the problems with fluid themes.

Have tried moving the right column into the header but it just doesn't want to pull it up correctly.
I guess that shows my lack of real php skills.. Back to the drawing board.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions I'd be glad to listen :)