Paypal error after upgrade

Didn't get any responses to my previous posts on this so I'll try again. I've now spent 3 days trying to get Paypal working again after upgrading to 1.4.3.0. First I couldn't get it to accept the API settings (solved that after realising I had to pick a template, though I still don't know what they are or what the difference is between templates A, B & C!). Then Paypal disappeared from the Payments & Gateways modules and appeared in "Other Modules" which also caused it to disappear as a payment option in the front office. I finally solved all those issues and it all looked like it was set up properly, except when I place a test order and get to the last step in the checkout procedure I now get this error:

PayPal response:
->
PayPal returned error

Not very helpful at all!

Anyone come across this and know what the problem is and how I can fix it?

Thanks,
Andy
www.thunderbirdmodels.co.uk

Hi
It seems paypal havent reponsed your query. That may be caused by paypal busy or connection time out for some paypal locates/regions. eg: our customers are redirected to paypal.com.TR (paypal Turkey). It sometimes occus for us. I tried to browse paypal.com.tr and saw The connection has timed out yesterday. I ask to paypal and they didnt reply yet.
I will inform you when get reply

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure Paypal being busy is the problem though, it seems to be some sort of authorisation issue on my site. I enabled the long error log message and got this when I tried to check out on a test order:

Authorisation to PayPal failed

Please refer to logs:
01. Making new connection to 'api-3t.paypal.com/nvp'
02. Connect failed with fsockopen method
03. PayPal response:
04. 0 ->
05. ->
06. PayPal returned error

Can anyone suggest a fix? I have no idea what "fsockopen method" is or how to fix the error.

Thanks,
Andy

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure Paypal being busy is the problem though, it seems to be some sort of authorisation issue on my site. I enabled the long error log message and got this when I tried to check out on a test order:

Authorisation to PayPal failed

Please refer to logs:
01. Making new connection to 'api-3t.paypal.com/nvp'
02. Connect failed with fsockopen method
03. PayPal response:
04. 0 ->
05. ->
06. PayPal returned error

Can anyone suggest a fix? I have no idea what "fsockopen method" is or how to fix the error.

Thanks,
Andy

you can be sure fsockopen function is enabled by browse BO home page. BO allready use this function for how to videos, version check, new from prestashop etc... So its working.
Other hand, as your LOG , paypal responced your query wiht "0" by fsockopen.
I remember that it fails if paypal cant responce in 30 sec.
Now we can say fsockopen is working so we have 3 possibilities:
1) Sometimes your server is slow and late for transfering all data
2) Paypal is busy or slow for responce in time out limit
3) both of them
I am researching more about this error and will inform you.
Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I too was having paypal error for some weeks and had it fixed now!

I did several things but not sure which one actually did the job :rolleyes:

Anyway, here are some easy things that I tried:

• go to paypal module - did a RESET then reconfigure all the credentials again.
  • go to performance - set "force compile" to ON, "cache" to OFF. Once paypal works I reversed both settings again.

You may try doing this too and wish you good luck!