[Solved] How can I install a test version of prestashop to check if my shop will upgrade ok?

Hi there,

I'm currently running 1.3.2.3 and want to upgrade, but I would like to create a test version of my shop first and do it on that. Ideally I'd like to do this on my server (so my shop address is www.stormjewelsgifts.com so I could do it on something like www.stormjewelsgifts.com/testing )

But I really have no idea how to do this, any help would be greatly appreciated. Would I need to create a new mySQL database or can I use the one I currently use for my shop.

Many thanks

Louisa

Hi there,

I'm currently running 1.3.2.3 and want to upgrade, but I would like to create a test version of my shop first and do it on that. Ideally I'd like to do this on my server (so my shop address is www.stormjewelsgifts.com so I could do it on something like www.stormjewelsgifts.com/testing )

But I really have no idea how to do this, any help would be greatly appreciated. Would I need to create a new mySQL database or can I use the one I currently use for my shop.

Many thanks

Louisa

Hi;
1.) Download prestashop latest version and upload files to /prestashop root directorly/test/
2.) Copy your databse (export- create new - import at phpmyadmin)
3.) Copy /prestashop root directorly/config/settings.inc.php to /prestashop root directorly/test/config/settings.inc.php
4.) Open copied setting.inc.php (in /test/config/) and set your new database information to file than save
5.) Browse yourstore.com/test

edit;
copy your stores /img/ directory to /test/img/ and copy each 3rd party module directory (if you have) to /test/modules/

Be carefull! You must be sure the /test/config/setting.inc.php includes your new (copied) DB information. Dont skip any step and backup whole your store with database before do this.
good luck
  • Like 1

Ok stupid question I know, but when I originally installed prestashop I had to do several attempts and ended up creating several mysql databases, and now I can't remember which one is the one I'm currently using with prestashop. Do you know how I can find out which one is the one I'm using? Thanks!!

Ok stupid question I know, but when I originally installed prestashop I had to do several attempts and ended up creating several mysql databases, and now I can't remember which one is the one I'm currently using with prestashop. Do you know how I can find out which one is the one I'm using? Thanks!!

May be BO footer else /Prestashop root/config/sttings.inc.php/ at last line
_PS_VERSION_

A mysql log will be displayed at the end of upgrade steps. It is usefull to fix several bugs when you feel "my store is getting creazy since upgrated " ;)

Just to check, after I've exported the db, I create a new one, then import the old one into that?

Yes. Simply you are duplicating DB for save old one from upgrade procces.
Im sorry i cant responce more to day. I need sleep (its 03.00 in Turkey) and will check this topic tomorrow

have a nice upgrade testing :D

Hi there I been a bit ill so couldn't carry on with this. I've just changed over my settings inc file and have changed the database name and database user, but not sure whether to change the password? I had to get my hosts to import the database as myphpadmin wouldn't let me do it and he gave me a password but not sure if this is the right one? can you help?

Hope that makes sense

thanks so much!!

just to add the password he gave is a plain text one eg 'dogface' (thats not the real password but you get what I mean!) but in the settings.inc.php its a random amount of numbers and letters which doesn't look like a pass I would have ever chosen, and so I'm wondering if it has been encrypted?

EDIT: Ignore the above, I just tried the password my host gave me and it seems to be working, now just copying img folder, modules and also theme. Fingers crossed!

Realised I could check the error log, means little to me but maybe someone can help, here it is..

[04-Jul-2011 21:55:56] PHP Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'stormjew_test'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in /home2/stormjew/public_html/test/classes/MySQL.php on line 34
[04-Jul-2011 22:13:35] PHP Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home2/stormjew/public_html/test/classes/Link.php on line 206
[04-Jul-2011 22:13:35] PHP Fatal error: Cannot access empty property in /home2/stormjew/public_html/test/classes/FrontController.php on line 232
[04-Jul-2011 22:13:45] PHP Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home2/stormjew/public_html/test/classes/Link.php on line 206
[04-Jul-2011 22:13:45] PHP Fatal error: Cannot access empty property in /home2/stormjew/public_html/test/classes/FrontController.php on line 232
[04-Jul-2011 22:13:58] PHP Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home2/stormjew/public_html/test/classes/Link.php on line 206

and it continues like this

Hey all

Would really love it if someone can help me here. Did my upgrade go wrong because I did the test install wrong, or because there is some other problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Louisa

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I had to pay someone to help me, which is a shame because it was quite an easy fix from here.

1. In the setting.inc.php I needed to change the BASE URI to my test folder, which was /test/
2. Really simple but as I hadn't upgraded PS for a while I forgot that the next step was to go to /test/install
3. At this point I got an error message telling me that while my settings.inc.php said I was running 1.3.2.3, it had detected an earlier version. - I was definitely running 1.3.2.3 but had to change it to 1.2.5.0

Install worked after this, well kind of anyway, has done some very weird things to my database but that is for another thread.

• Like 1

Hi there

Well I did get it to work kind of, but discovered that not having a theme that was 1.4 and smarty 3 compatible was a headache.

When I say 'kind of' it's because I had several database errors (order & customer history disappearing and some cms pages deleted) and also I can't get the product images to show. But I have deleted that test version and now trying a new test version to see if it fixes the errors now that I have a compatible theme and know what I am doing.

I'll write back to let you know what happens!

ps I wouldn't say I bypassed the upgrade process, you still have to run the installer and click upgrade otherwise your database will not be compatible, but I HIGHLY recommend you do a test install if you have a live shop, much less stressful, and good because if anything is weird or missing you can check your original shop to see how it should be!

Ok just completed the upgrade, it went much better than before, no strange message about I am running a version of prestashop that is 1.2.5.0, and no database errors or missing customers.

Only problem is now that the images are not showing, but if I can figure that out then I can upgrade the real shop!

Good luck and let me know how you get on!

• 3 months later...