Set up a staging site

ale.pixel

Hello everyone!

I am trying to clone a PrestaShop 1.7 installation of a live site to make a staging version of it for testing purposes. I am technically capable of performing it but I am wondering about the correct steps I have to take. I have summed them up in a list, could someone please tell me if it's correct before I proceed?

I have already searched for a guide but it seems to be always missing something and it doesn't clarify some steps.

1. set the live site into maintenance mode
  2. switch all payment modules (like PayPal) and Google/facebook feeds on test environment
  3. Live site Database backup (which tables can I avoid to export? I am not interested in past orders or customers account)
  4. Creating new staging Database and importing the Live site one
  5. Copy the live site into a subfolder (ex.   /dev) without the cache folder /var/cache
  6. Link the staging Database with the staging website, along with the shop url on /app/config/parameters.php
  7. Edit the robots.txt files to avoid indexing and crawlers

Have I forgot something essential? Are the steps all in the correct order?

Thanks in advance to anyone wishing to help me! 🙂

Hi @ale.pixel, recommended method.

1. Set live site to maintenance
  2. backup all files (except var/cache/*)
  3. backup database
  4. Remove maintenance to live site
  5. Edit sql backup file and change all prod.domain.ext to staging.domain.ext
  6. idem in .htaccess file
  7. import database
  8. change app/config/parameters.php to your staging sql server
  9. go to staging backoffice and change payment modules to test
  10. disable analytics like Google analytics to avoid staging to be indexing
  11. change robots.txt is not enough, just a recommendation 😞 I suggest you to protect with a .htpasswd
  12. Check for specific modules that communicate with external services like Brevo, Boxtal... if they have to be active in staging
Edited by Prestashop Addict (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much, this is exactly what I needed to know!

One more questione about the step 3: is there any table I can avoid to export? Like customers and orders for example, which I would gladly remove on the staging site.

Il y a 15 heures, ale.pixel a dit :

Thank you very much, this is exactly what I needed to know!

One more questione about the step 3: is there any table I can avoid to export? Like customers and orders for example, which I would gladly remove on the staging site.

No you need all tables, if you want PS works correctly. And if you want to make real tests in staging you need everything. Staging should be considerate as a clone before evolution.