Multistore addresses not reachable

Kul

Dear community,

I am quite lost during my first experience with Prestashop. I try to use the Multistore feature, but the created store's websites are not available, nether via internet browser nor is a change on file level. I found no information how the behavior on file level is supposed to be, therefore I am not sure there is a failure. I can't find any problem regarding file access restrictions, but I am not sure how to confirm there is no problem.

I installed Prestashop 8.1.0 on hosted main-domain (example) store.example via cPanel and it works fine. If I create an additional store on subdomain.store.example I receive the message "server not found", if I create store.example/subfolder I receive "500 internal server error".

Anyone has an idea what I did wrong, or how I need to proceed? Thank you in advance.

Edited by Kul (see edit history)

Thank you for your fast reply.

I installed the server software only once, using main-domain. Then I added 2 stores/shops using multistore-interface "Add a new shop" and added an URL "Click here to set a URL for this shop" for one of these new stores a sub-somain using "Domain" and for the other one a sub-folder using "Physical URL".

I am not sure I got your point. I try to create the sub-domain using cPanel and created the store and URL later and I tried to create the store and URL without adding/creating the sub-domain in cPanel. Both didn't work. But I didn't create a file link by the name of the sub-domain (not sure what you mean by "set it to point folder"), pointing on the folder of main-domain. According to documentation "You don't have to create subdomains or subfolders manually. PrestaShop will create the path on your server automatically.", but this is not the case and I found no option to initial the creation. And it seems to be no file permission problem, otherwise no option would be safed, I guess.

I try explain it in more clear way.

Domain main_domain.com pointing on server catalog var/domains/main_domain.com/public_html

Domain sub_domain.main_domain.com must pointing on server catalog var/domains/main_domain.com/public_html so it is same catalog like above

Domain main_domain.com/some_address should be set in url setting virtual URL as some_address

Thank you very much! It is solved. The documentation confused me at some points.

Short summary for users with same problems in future.

• "You don't have to create subdomains or subfolders manually.", this sentence is wrong, at least in my case for sub-domains. My server catalog is not in "var/domains/main_domain.com/public_html" and I did not find it at all. In cPanel I created "sub_domain.main_domain.com" and used "main_domain.com" as folder. I believe cPanel wrote it to somewhere like "/home/USER/main_domain.com/public_html", but no additional file manipulation was necessary.
  • The examples of Physical URL (www.example.com/my-store) and Virtual URL (www.example.com/my-store/shoes) are confusing, in my opinion. If the installation is in "www.example.com" (which I believe is so in 99% of the cases) and the new store should appear in "www.example.com/my-store", than leave the Physical URL blank and only fill "my-store" in Virtual URL.
  • If the administrator is logged in, there is no need to login again for using the "Enable store for logged-in employees" feature, if it is in a sub-folder (example.com/my-store). If the additional store is in a sub-domain (my-store/example.com), a new login is necessary, using same user and password and the similar login path like initial shop (if initial shop example.com/ADMIN, then my-store.example.com/ADMIN).
Edited by Kul (see edit history)