Making your own Prestashop copy ready for one-click (or close to that) deployment

dbdropper

Hi everyone

I come from the e-commerce background of running an Opencart monolith on a given server that you manually configured years ago and it runs to this day. The oldschool approach. I want to kill two birds with one stone: a. start the move to Prestashop and b. work on a reasonable one-click-CI-CD automation right away.

My intention is to have PHP environment (say, Heroku – but not necessarily) into which I to deploy my Prestashop code from a repository. It loads whatever dependencies I have in my composer.json, then picks up all the necessary configuration from environment variables and/or an .env file, and is finally ready to run the app. Pretty much what GatsbyJS does on Gatsby Cloud – I run my blog there, and it's very convenient.

The tricky part, it seems, is to have a combination of upstream Prestashop code which I'm not interfering with and my own modules/extensions/theme that I need for my store. How would you implement it properly? And on what platform?

My ideas:

• have my own repository with custom stuff in a branch called custom; once in a while switch to master, sync the master with upstream (latest Prestashop code), merge master into custom, resolve conflicts if any; deploy from the custom branch, not master
  • have my own repository with custom stuff only, and actual Prestashop listed as composer.json dependency; somehow instruct composer to install/move everything into right folders
  • anything else?

Thank you!

Edited by dbdropper (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2023 at 11:48 PM, dbdropper said:

Hi everyone

I come from the e-commerce background of running an Opencart monolith on a given server that you manually configured years ago and it runs to this day. The oldschool approach. I want to kill two birds with one stone: a. start the move to Prestashop and b. work on a reasonable one-click-CI-CD automation right away.

My intention is to have PHP environment (say, Heroku – but not necessarily) into which I to deploy my Prestashop code from a repository. It loads whatever dependencies I have in my composer.json, then picks up all the necessary configuration from environment variables and/or an .env file, and is finally ready to run the app. Pretty much what GatsbyJS does on Gatsby Cloud – I run my blog there, and it's very convenient.

The tricky part, it seems, is to have a combination of upstream Prestashop code which I'm not interfering with and my own modules/extensions/theme that I need for my store. How would you implement it properly? And on what platform?

My ideas:

• have my own repository with custom stuff in a branch called custom; once in a while switch to master, sync the master with upstream (latest Prestashop code), merge master into custom, resolve conflicts if any; deploy from the custom branch, not master
  • have my own repository with custom stuff only, and actual Prestashop listed as composer.json dependency; somehow instruct composer to install/move everything into right folders
  • anything else?

Thank you!

Hi,

- Choose a CI/CD platform like Jenkins, GitLab CI/CD, or GitHub Actions.

- Set up your CI/CD pipeline to automatically deploy from the "custom" branch whenever there are updates.