How do I change the default Sort Order of products on category pages

thevakish

Users that currently land on a category page of our store see products sorted automatically by "Relevance (reverse)" which means the products they land on are literally what the site thinks is least relevant to the user. There is a dropdown menu where users can change it, but this is an awful user experience for a new visitor.

I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to fix this. We use the Z.One theme, and no setting I've tried in the prestashop settings or theme settings seem to have any affect on this part of the front end.

Ideally users would always see the newest products of a category first, so the sort would be "new products first". But there are also too many sort options, so a bonus would be removing a few of the options (there are currently 9 sort options, and 5 would be more than enough).

Ideas? Any suggestions of where to look welcome, though bear in mind I've checked every existing forum thread I could find on this, and I haven't edited any code yet as I assumed this was fixable in the back office (I mean, the default sort is SO bad, it must be easy to change right?) but if that's the best suggestion I'll take it.

Thanks!

On 1/28/2023 at 11:24 PM, Mediacom87 said:

Hi,

image.thumb.png.c532eccc630dadc5b9a6c56014d619d4.png

Hi, yes this has no affect. Presumably that is because the template overrides it somehow. But I haven't managed to find help for this with the Z.One template despite it being very popular.

Thanks.

il y a 20 minutes, thevakish a dit :

Hi, yes this has no affect. Presumably that is because the template overrides it somehow. But I haven't managed to find help for this with the Z.One template despite it being very popular.

I find that there is a real concern in terms of support for theme creators, it's a shame overall.

Personally, I use very few themes for my clients to avoid support issues or security holes in some modules.

10 minutes ago, Mediacom87 said:

I find that there is a real concern in terms of support for theme creators, it's a shame overall.

Personally, I use very few themes for my clients to avoid support issues or security holes in some modules.

I would argue this is an overall issue with prestashop in my limited experience. There is a distinct lack of professionalism in the module and theme development for this platform. You can't compare it to a wordpress because that's had so much more time and energy and diversification behind it already, but using this platform if you're a small business and not yourself an engineer is infuriating. 😕 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 1/29/2023 at 12:24 AM, Mediacom87 said:

Hi,

image.thumb.png.c532eccc630dadc5b9a6c56014d619d4.png

little bump.. but presta still doesnt seem to have an option for that..

The above is only to set the default behaviour.. If visitor change the sort order from the drop down to A-B or price etc.. then cannot set it back to Newest..