Upgrading to PrestaShop 8.0 ?

sampsonzak

Hi, I'm really confused. I'm reading it's possible to upgrade from PrestaShop 1.7 to PrestaShop 8.0, but even downloading the latest -autoupgrade plugin from PrestaShop's GitHub, the highest version it will let me download is 1.7.7.8

Even the beta/alpha channels, the highest version is always 1.7.7.8

How do I upgrade to PrestaShop 8.0 ? I am on 1.7.2 and I would like to Upgrade to PrestaShop 8.0 !!

Thank you

Many plugins and themes updated to PrestaShop 8.0 months ago, so I thought it was finished? Would like to start using PHP 8.0 to future proof the website and make it a bit faster. I'll update in ~3 months to 8.0, hopefully it's available to automatic upgrade by this time.

• Like 1

il y a 43 minutes, sampsonzak a dit :

Hi, what module version is your 1-click upgrade please??

Thank you

Le 29/12/2022 à 5:37 PM, Mediacom87 a dit :

Hi,

don't do this update, except on a test store to watch its behavior.

The latest version of the upgrade module is : https://github.com/PrestaShop/autoupgrade/releases/tag/v4.15.0

But in any case, this is only done to test, nothing else.

• Like 1

By default the channel is set to minor update search, therefore V8.0 which is a stable version by the way, was not offered.

Once you set the channel to "major" and save it the page is going to be updated the the available major STABLE update will show up which is V8.0.

This is not beta, this is not RC1 this is the first stable version irrespective of how many modules are compatible and how many themes are compatible yet.

Kind regards, 

Tamas

• Like 1

il y a 7 minutes, sampsonzak a dit :

But over 750+ modules are compatible with PrestaShop 8.0 ? Is this beta or not ? I don't think they would show the beta details on the homepage if it wasn't ready to upgrade!!

https://addons.prestashop.com/en/2-modules-prestashop?compatibility=8.0.0&

You do as you wish, we explain to you that you should not use this version yet on a store in production, but only to carry out tests and prepare the future changeover to this new version, because like any new version, it still contains thousands of bugs.

• Like 1

Just now, Mediacom87 said:

You do as you wish, we explain to you that you should not use this version yet on a store in production, but only to carry out tests and prepare the future changeover to this new version, because like any new version, it still contains thousands of bugs.

Ok, thank you. I'm going to finally do my site update today, as my theme is over 4 years old and it's due a big revamp. I don't fancy updating it every month either if there are new bugs or incompatibility issues with the 8.0, but I was really hoping it would be ready and stable before February so I could update Analytics, etc all at the same time. I guess I will have to wait a bit longer!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sampsonzak said:

Ok, thank you. I'm going to finally do my site update today, as my theme is over 4 years old and it's due a big revamp. I don't fancy updating it every month either if there are new bugs or incompatibility issues with the 8.0, but I was really hoping it would be ready and stable before February so I could update Analytics, etc all at the same time. I guess I will have to wait a bit longer!

Minimize the number of 3rd party modules you use, then you will have less chance for incompatibility and you do not have to be waiting for updates. A lot of 3rd party modules uses overrides which is a bad practice and may results in non-functional shop even after a minor update. The more 3rd party modules you use, the less freedom you will have for updating your store without requesting support service from the provider. I update my shop regularly, currently use 1.7.8.8. I usually test it in sandbox for a week, then I use. PS8.0 indeed will need a deeper test from every aspect (BO, FO, etc). I also advise you to open a sandbox version of your store, I mean a full clone of your store and make it 8.0. It would give safe opportunity to test it in different setups and identify bugs and incompatibilities. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I updated my site to 8 yesterday but then I couldn't log into the admin panel it showed that I didn't have an account. Fortunately I had made an offsite backup before attempting this otherwise I wouldn't have been able to log in to run the 1 click backup restore.

Anyone any ideas?