Modify PrestaShop search to show result even for category names

KLewi

Hi,

I ran into a problem that I see most e-commerce systems have solved, but PrestasShop has not. So, my problem is that if I include the name of a category in the search query, it does not return any results.

A very trivial example.

I sell shoes. I also have boots for children and adults. 
The category tree is the next step for a child's shoe: 

Childs->Footwear->Boots. 

The default category for a boot ist the Boots category, but also assigned to parent categories of the "Boots".

And the issue is that when I type "children boots" in the search, it doesn't return any results. The product name does not even include children", just something like that : "Boots black 37" 
This seems to me to be a big problem, because if I sell shoes for example and there are no hits for children's shoes, it reduces the traffic.

This was just a banal example, it works similarly with other categories.

Thanks!

Firstly, make sure you've got "Fuzzy Search" enabled in Shop Parameters -> Search.

By default, a search for "children" will NOT match a category called "child", for example, but you've got a better chance with Fuzzy Search enabled.

On this page you can also increase the impact (weight) that the category name has on your search results. Try a few different settings and find the sweet spot.

You might also want to emply the use of product tags which can be found in the Options tab of the Admin Product page - tags are also considered in search results.