Paypal can't checkout is this a bug, posts refer to replacing core.js?

I have a problem with Paypal checkout.  I'm setting it up right now and it appears, but when you try to do a transaction, it goes through the entire process and then when you are about to pay you click a button that says "Checkout with obligation to pay" and it doesen't do anything.  The mouse pointer turns into the ghostbuster logo without the ghost.  When I try to find a solution online, everything suggests this is some sort of bug within prestashop (v1.7,8,x) and the solution is to extract a core.js file from an old archived version of prestashop v 1.7.7.7.  This seems like a terrible idea.  I can't even find the file in the archive, I don't know where it's stored.  I also can't upgrade prestashop to the most recent version of prestashop because if I try the one click upgrade, it says I need to be in maintenance mode.  If I go to maintenance mode, the moment I try to leave the page to get back to the one click upgrade, the entire system doesn't work because it says that the webserver is down.  Is there a way to upgrade this easily using the command line?  I don't want to incorporate a webserver at all doing this, I'd prefer to do it from the shell of the linux box that runs the site, is that possible?  Would that fix this issue?

This has been a nightmare from getting SSL to work, to getting email to actually work, to getting the URL changed because I did this originally on a horrible domain name, to now not being able to accept payments.  Thank god this is on a VM in ESXI, I've had to restore snapshots a hundred times because this thing just breaks if the wind blows in the wrong direction.

Why is it so difficult to upgrade prestashop?  If I try to use 1 click upgrade it doesn't work because some websever shuts off when I go into maintenance mode, so I tried what is in the link above.  When I ran the command it said it couldn't find cli-upgrade.php.  Nowhere in the documentation on that link did it mention that there is no actual file to run.  Instead I looked for help on google and found a github page that had code that I assume you copy and save in a file named cli-upgrade.php.  I don't know if that's what you're supposed to do because there are no instructions on the github page, just code.  Here's a snippet of that code.

image.png.58572aa80fd74bfd95d4a96c677452f0.png

The text in the red box says do not edit this if you want to upgrade to newer versions in the future.

Then the line in yellow appears to be saying you need to put the directory path?

This is what happens if I edit that path to point to that directory and file

image.thumb.png.2303391751388240e1b09ca7f04451d8.png

This is what I get if I don't change the directory path
image.thumb.png.e45dd50cf9768f8c7f5301bb464cbd31.png

The command is:

php cli-upgrade.php --dir=admin-dev --channel=major

Is it supposed to be run just like that?  Is --dir=admin-dev actually asking for you to define a directory path?  I just need to upgrade to the newest version of prestashop because I'm stuck on version 1.7.8.2 and apparently the paypal module is not working with that anymore.  Another solution people have said to make paypal work is to copy the core.js file from version 1.7.7.7 into my current version.  I can't even find that file in the archive I downloaded.  Is there anyone that knows how to upgrade prestashop using the command line?  One click breaks a webserver that stops serving so the second you go to maintenance mode everything is broken and you can't even access back office anymore.  Is this why this is free, because it's a pain in the ass and buggy as all hell?