PS1.7.6.8 Product Duplication Does Not Really Allow Changing The Reference

Tim Homola

When I duplicate a product, I can change the reference on the basic settings tab in the back office, but the front end it still shows the original reference. This is causing a big problem with my order importing program that gets the wrong products assignet to quickbooks. 

How can I change the reference?

I have cleared the cache, reindexed, etc. 

Thank you for your response Leo!

Yes, it does have combinations but I want the same combinations and don't want to enter them again, thus trying to duplicate. I want everything to be the same except for the name, picture, reference, and desctiption. I'm copying the same toy car, just with a different livery (paint job). 

I have researched the problem clearer. It appears you cannot properly duplicate a product that has combinations. This keeps the same regference as the original part duplicated, even though it shows in the backend as what you edit it to. When you place an order with it, the original reference appears. Pretty sure this is a PS bug. Duplicating other products works fine and you can duplicate and edit the reference properly. 

What can I do? I have a large number of parts I want to duplicate and don't want to manually have to go in and build all the combinations from scratch?

temp.jpg

Create override for attribute reference ./classes/Product.php

This is a function public static function duplicateAttributes($id_product_old, $id_product_new)

If you need to change the reference code only for the product, just create an override ./controllers/admin/AdminProductsController.php

This is a function public function processDuplicate()

Here you can add your own reference code generation function. E.g.

public function generateRandomString($id_product = NULL,$length = 10) 
{
    $characters = '0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ';
    $charactersLength = strlen($characters);
    $randomString = '';
    for ($i = 0; $i < $length; $i++) {
        $randomString .= $characters[rand(0, $charactersLength - 1)];
    }

if ($id_product) {
    	return Db::getInstance()->update('product', array('reference' => pSQL(generateRandomString($id_product)), 'id_product' => (int)$id_product);         
    } else {
      return;
    }

}

/* and change duplicate function */
public function processDuplicate()
    {
        if (Validate::isLoadedObject($product = new Product((int) Tools::getValue('id_product')))) {
            $id_product_old = $product->id;
            if (empty($product->price) && Shop::getContext() == Shop::CONTEXT_GROUP) {
                $shops = ShopGroup::getShopsFromGroup(Shop::getContextShopGroupID());
                foreach ($shops as $shop) {
                    if ($product->isAssociatedToShop($shop['id_shop'])) {
                        $product_price = new Product($id_product_old, false, null, $shop['id_shop']);
                        $product->price = $product_price->price;
                    }
                }
            }
            unset(
                $product->id,
                $product->id_product
            );

$product->indexed = 0;
            $product->active = 0;
            if ($product->add()
      		/* start here */
      		&& $this->generateRandomString($product->id)
      		/* end here */
            && Category::duplicateProductCategories($id_product_old, $product->id)
            && Product::duplicateSuppliers($id_product_old, $product->id)
            && ($combination_images = Product::duplicateAttributes($id_product_old, $product->id)) !== false
            && GroupReduction::duplicateReduction($id_product_old, $product->id)