Updating directly via SQL or using Web APIs?

JustSaying

Is it considered bad practice to update tables with goods (such as for instance changing prices and quantities) directly via SQL requests to the database (if there exists direct access to it)? Is it maybe better to use REST requests to the backend instead? And any specific reasons for the latter or the former?

In my view it's easier to just use SQL but maybe I'm missing something. Like maybe there's more than one table to update?

1. yes, there are more tables
2. There is a Webservice API for importing from xml

Product:
* without combinations and discounts or special prices = 6 tables

* with combinations + 5 tables

* with special price + 4 tables

* with discount + 2 tables

etc.
https://devdocs.prestashop.com/1.7/webservice/

Whatever method you want to use, you need to study the documentation.

If you want to know which functions and relevant parameters to use, you will find the information in the folder. /classes/*.*
Need to know what you need to add a product to the script? Find the add () function. Do you need to modify the product? Look for the update () function.

For a programmer who controls Prestashop, it is better to use the Prestashop function.
If you put sql in the database and forget something, either the product will not work for you or the loading will be long.
For Webservice Api it is necessary to study ws parameters for classes.

A lot of beginning programmers or artists who can only use Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V return here with the questions "it doesn't work, I have my own module, what should I do etc ....."

I have been programming for Prestashop for 11 years and I don't know everything yet. With each new version of Prestashoo there are new features and old ones do not work, documentation for changes is minimal, it must be studied ....

Edited by knacky (see edit history)

I see. Well, thanks for the general tips. I'm looking to do syncs from FileMaker and obviously looking for the simplest method to transfer the table data there to Prestashop. I've done that with Shopify, but we created products separately and then linked them together using Shopify product IDs. Then just calling REST requests like "put product 1234: price: 10, qty: 5". So looking for something similar with Prestashop, but instead of re-creating products manually, push/create new ones from FileMaker to Prestashop, establish sync via ids and then re-sync nightly. So obviously I can generate XML or JSON or even issue direct SQL requests as well. Either method will require some learning, so I'm looking for the best one at the moment.

Edited by JustSaying (see edit history)